A chinchilla rant - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Angry A chinchilla rant

Many of you know I work in a pet store. Day in and day out we get pretty idiotic customers.

Well, on Saturday there was a particular idiot who called. She claimed that someone at our store told her it was OK to feed her chinchilla rabbit or gerbil food. When the manager on duty asked her what this person looked like, she proceeded to say it was a stocker, about her height (5'2") and had sandy blonde hair. Nobody works there that looks like this. The last person who looked like this hasn't been there for over a year and a half.

She said she's had this chinchilla for three years. If she has indeed had this chin for that long of time, she should know that chinchillas cannot be on gerbil food! I know some breeders feed a rabbit pellet, but not the kind we carry.

So, she asked if the store owner was available, and the manager told her not until Tuesday. She had wanted to set up an appointment to talk to him. She then kept asking, Sunday? Monday? And the manager told her NO, not until Tuesday.

Well.....yesterday she came in. I walked in the door to go punch in (I started work at two) and she had pointed me out. I didn't think much of it. So, my store manager calls me up into the office and explains that I have talked to her before, and she was giving him different stories. One was the humane society told her that rabbit pellets have "antibiotics" in the food. WTF?? Then she told him that she lives upstairs in the attic, but has fans blowing. Ok, still not going to keep the chin cool.

So, we both came to the conclusion that the chin died of heat stroke. He then told me that she may be coming in to buy the mosaic chinchilla we had. GASP! And she was going to come to me if she did come in. I told him flat out that I was going to give her a chinchilla checklist that I personally wrote up (the other one we had was incorrect in spots) and that he may get an angry call from her because I did this.

I didn't want to sell her the chin, but he ok'd it, and I have pretty much no say in that. Thankfully she didn't come in last night and buy the chin, because I don't want a deceased chinchilla on my hands. I'd be a mess.

Thanks for letting me rant. If this needs to be moved, please do so.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hate people like that!!! How can you get a pet and not educate yourself about it!!!
Tell her to get a hamster or something!!! Grrrr.......

I would have a hard time selling an animal to someone I know wouldnt take good care of it!!!
Hopefully she wont come back in!!!

~Misty~

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

I hope so, too, stormshy. I don't want to sell her the pet, period. And my manager last night agrees with me on this.

There are too many people that come in to where I work and just buy a pet on a whim. Have done absolutely no research on them, or very little research. It just irritates me. If you want a pet so bad, do the research and then come back and talk to me. Don't go out and buy a pet and then want to return the pet because it "doesn't fit" your lifestyle. Happens too often.

Just recently I had an offer to take in a chinchilla. The people bought a puppy and don't have time for the chin anymore, and the puppy is "upsetting the chinchilla." I don't know how true this is or not.

Karen

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

PETS ARE FAMILY!!!
I was actually just at the vet earlier today (vacs for the dog and cat) and we were talking about the same thing.
It's like some people dont feel bad about just Droping their pet somewhere or taking it back, but you cant do that with a kid! you cant have a baby and go back a few weeks later and tell the dr. you've changed you mind, could you send it back.

My pets are my kids, and frankly, I think my pets live better lives than me and my BF!!!

I mean, its summer and like 90 degress out side but we have slippers and sweatshirts by our front door to put on as soon as you walk in...gotta keep the air on high...dont want thoes furballs to get too hot!! And in the winter my nose is permentally pink cuz I refuse to turn the heat on too high!
I dont get a new house cuz mine hurts my feet, and I dont pay to have 20lbs of shower gel shipped from CA just so I can take a bath everyday!! And if My house got cleaned each and everynight like theirs...I'd be a happy camper!
Gosh I wish i was a chinchilla!!!!

~Misty~

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Yeah, they have the life don't they? I wish I was a chinchilla, too. I mean, fresh food every day, not having to worry about if they're going to have food or not.

New toys, treats, etc.

What a life!

Karen

[

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

and dont forget lots of loving and petting

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

UGH! How ignorant!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Part of the Pack

I'm glad to know there are people like you, Karen, out there making a difference!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Newborn Pup

Sad to say... not a lot of people treat chinchillas as family. I'm beginning to find out that a lot of my friends have chinchillas ~ and they don't even have wheels for the poor fellas. On top of that... one of my friends was like "she's going to have chinchilla babies"... not even knowing anything about breeding. GRR....

Tags
humane society, pet store, rabbit pellets