Chinchilla sick? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Chinchilla sick?

I have recently purchased 2 chinchillas a male and female when i bought them they were both already in the same cage and they were hardly ever handled. now that i own them the male runs around all the time but the female is always hiding in her house and she rarly comes out if she dose she sits on top of her house and dosnt move around. i have atempted to give her a dust bath after 3 days but she dosnt show intrest in the bath house but if i get her in it she wont roll or anything she just hops out and walks away. i have goten to the extream of sprinkling the dust onto her and rubing it in so she will get some dust on her. i fear she may be pregnet. if so how can i check and see without geting a xray?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you noticed her sleeping on her side more often? Also, is she drinking a lot of water, but not eating food? I think those are pretty good signs she's expecting. However, you said you recently purchased them so the cause may simply be stress. Some chins take longer than others to adapt to a new home. When I first brought mine home he didn't take a bath either because he was nervous. He go in the container and then jump back out and run into his house. Sounds like maybe your girl is just scared and needs to get used to her environment? I've heard that pressing on female's stomaches to determine pregnancy is very bad and cause them to abort the babies. If you really want to know, I suggest the vet. How far away is your vet located?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:13 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

She sounds stressed out.
Do her and the male ever cuttle?
If not, I would get a second kage, and put her into that.
She dosen't sound pregnant.
Pregnant chins don't mind dustbaths. But if there's only a couple of weeks for her to give birth, she would normally spent most her time sleeping and eating.

There is a very easy way you can check if she is pregnant.
If you feel on her tommy (no pressing at all), it should be very eaven. When she is pregnant, she will get a little "bump" between her hind legs. As the pregnansy progresses, the bump will get bigger, until it goes from the hind legs to about the middle of her tummy. If there is more than one baby, you should also be able to feel them, just by holding a hand under her tommy. Sometimes you can eaven see them moving around.

But I still think she's stressed out.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 PM

i would def. recommend a vet visit to rule out all possibilities Plus it's good to get them checked out when you first get them so you know they're are doing good
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree. You should really always get a vet check after you purchase one, unless you really knew the breeder and watched them grow from babies. Otherwise, who knows if they have a parasite, etc.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

she hasnt been sleeping on her side she just sits in her hut. she comes out and just sits on her huts roof and dosnt move at all. i dont know how to realy tell if she cuddles with the male because she will sleep in her house and he will crawl right on in with her. i bought her from someone that didnt have any time for them and my nearest vet is about 8 miles away and she dose sometimes bark at the male if he gets in her face or messes with her.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Oh and if this helps any of you she is only 6 months old. And if i take her out of her cage and put her in the play pen she will run around and she will even come to me when i sit in it. I also felt her tummy there are no lumps or anything i even had my mom feel her tummy and she felt nothing so i dont think she is expeting.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It really sounds like she is just getting used to her surroundings. If you're noticing this during the day, it could be because she's sleepy. They are inactive during the afternoon because its their sleep/rest time.

One bit of advice - make sure that you are able to go to the vet if needed. Chins hide pain and illness very well. If you ever see signs such as irregular poop, not eating/drinking or overall lethargy you need to go to the vet and not waste even one minute. Usually when they show these signs they are very ill and every minute counts. Just throwing that out there
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

from what my brother says she usaly eats right befor going to bed because he puts dogs in my room in the morning and checks and that is when she eats and gets her exercise. Thank you all for helping. I was worried because from what i knew she wasnt eating or drinking but now i know she is just adjusting to her new home. Thank you.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Keep us updated on your chins and good luck
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I have been up tonight just watching and i got to see my little girl come out she was jumping around with her cage mate and they were both siting at the hay wheel eating and she was even nawing on her lava block. she did grab some muzeri pellets and she drank quite abit of water so i think she may be getting used to her new home a little.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's great! Each chin is very different - some take longer than others to get used to their new homes. Just wait until they start "popcorning" around your house. Chins are great! Are these the first chins you've owned?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I'm not sure if I got this right. But you have a 6 month old female whit a male?
You should take her away from him asap!
It can be very harmfull to her, if she gets pregnant!
She shouldnt get pregnant before she is at least 8 months old, some people are beginning to say at least 9 months, but it's a good thing if she is 10-12 months old.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

ya the female is with a male when i bought them they were already together but she may already be prego so i am trying to get my mom to set up a apointment with the vet. im waiting to get another cage because i got 2 already and i need to find room for a 3rd.Clyd is my first chin i got him about 7 weeks ago and i fell in love right away then i just needed more so i got gus and gizmo with cage and other items for 250$ it was a deal and they needed a home so i took them in.

Last edited by psycho47; 06-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You need to separate them ASAP. Are you prepared to have kits? If not, I would recommend reading about them here, there is a ton of information. Also, if you contact a breeder in your area they can possibly help you learn how to take care of them, the type of cage they need, etc.

If you can't get a vet appointment, you can get an standard gram weigher and if she's consistently gaining weight, she is probably pregnant.