Chinchilla Is Sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Chinchilla Is Sick

Hi, this is my first chinchilla and we've had him around 7 years now. He's had the common teeth over-growing problems. But recently he's just lost allot of weight and wont eat hard food at all. We've been feeding him liquid food every 2 hours but he looses the weight overnight and sometimes by the next feed. He also feels cold sometimes and prefers to sit on my lap allot now rather than be in his cage. Does anyone have any clues as to what he might have?
We took him to the vets and he seems to think it might be an infection still in his gums from a tooth he had out about a month or 2 ago, but even then the vet wasnt sure
I also want to query on whether 320g is ok for a chinchilla just on liquid food. As he is active and is happy when he comes out for an hour's run around everyday. Which leaves us clueless as to why he's this weight now as he eats so much and has allot of excerise
Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That much weight loss is astonishing. At my chin's sickest and lowest point, he was at 420 and he was skin and bones.

Has he had x-rays? An infection and/or root impaction would be my first guess, but I'm not a veterinarian. Were it my chin I would be thinking hard about his quality of life right now. Is he on pain meds? What is his long term prognosis with the teeth?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

yes he has been right down to 250 and had to have his first tooth operation which they said he had 75% chance of not surviving so he is a fighter. He had a slightly imflamed mouth 2 weeks ago and he doesnt have to take the antibiotics and pain killers anymore (thought they cost a fortune). Usually his teeth only need trimming every few months which we're pretty lucky with.
he seems happy with his life as he's very active, but he just likes to sleep on my lap instead of the cage now, though we can see no problems with his cage as we've been cleaning it out every day. He's fine and is always excited when he eats as he wants more and more than he can put in his mouth at once. But today i noticed that he has problems opening his front teeth. He tried to take a raisin off me, but of course it wouldnt go in his mouth as he had his front teeth closed. Yet after a while of his liquid food he opens it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Rodentologist

If the vet feels like he has an infection in his gums, has he put him onto any antibiotics? What type of liquid food are you feeding him?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

No, apprently he has to have an x-ray and if it turns out he has the infection, he has to have a bit of his jaw cut out But this morning i noticed he was pawing his front 2 teeth at the top, so i took a look and one is about 3/4mm longer than the other and looks like it could have pushed 1 of the bottom teeth backwards a little. Yet this still doesnt explain why he is loosing weight as we feed him around 30g per feeding We feed him Oxford critical care liquid food as it was the only one the vets had
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Rodentologist

Often jaw surgery is required if there is infection there, but since he's doing so poorly, it would seem like your vet would want him on an antibiotic in the interim to keep the infection from worsening and hopefully pull him back.

The Critical Care is excellent (I wanted to make sure you weren't feeding him baby food -- sometimes vets recommend that and it's not great for long-term).

It really sounds like he has some other underlying problem going on

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
chinchilla breeder

I agree it sounds like there is a bigger problem there. another thing you can do for him is grind up his pellets in a coffee grinder and mix a few drops of dyne and some lifeline and water and offer him that.

lifeline and dyne can be bought at http://www.chocolatechinchillas.com

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
loosing weight, sick