Chinchilla sleeping on a rock - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Chinchilla sleeping on a rock

Chinchillas come from the Andes mountain range, which are composed of the rock Andesite. Andesite is also common here in AZ.

I went and got a piece and put it in my Chinchilla's cage to weigh down it's plastic castle, so the Chinchilla can't push the castle around.

All the sudden, the Chinchilla started sleeping on top of the Andesite. It is about a 2 inch long piece of andesite, and my chinchilla goes through the trouble of scrunching up just so she can fit on top of it. I went out and got a bigger slab, and will see if she sleeps on that one now.

I thought it was really neat that the chinchilla wants to sleep on top of a volcanic rock. I guess it's an instinct, just like the dust bathing.

I'm trying to upload pictures of the Chinchilla sleeping on the rock.

Maybe it's just a coicidence, and chinchilla's like to sleep on any rock. I didn't even realize it was andesite that I was using to weigh down the castle, until after she started sleeping on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Ehm no... It's not instinct
They sleep in rock-dens in the wild

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Is the andesite stone? Stone usually maintains a colder temperature than the room. Chins love to snuggle up to something cool, especially as the weather gets warmer. There are "chin-chillers" on the market which are slabs of marble or slate, but are really expensive for a tile. Really, any stone that stays cold is great. Maybe he just likes the cold. Sounds adorable though! I can't wait to see pictures . What is your chin's name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow that's neat! i agree it might be because the rock is cold. it sounds super cute either way, can't wait for a pic!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Just a side note...I noticed that you have a plastic castle for you chinchilla. You should really take that out ASAP. Chinchillas chew like crazy and plastic is potentially fatal since it blocks their intestines. When I first got my chin he didn't chew very much , but a few weeks later he began chewing on EVERYTHING. I use a "chub" for mine and you can get it at any PetCo, Petsmart or other pet store. Its a tube made out of vegetable parchment and is safe to chew on. He's pretty much destroyed it! They're safe and provide entertainment. You can also get a wooden box, just make sure its a safe wood. Save yourself the heartache and get rid of any plastic :]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I did buy the plastic thing from petsmart, but didn't know plastic was bad for them!

What's odd is that I have a somewhat-colder granite slab in there, and she chooses to sleep on andesite, which is made of ash and doesn't stay cold...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Plastic is so bad for them and kills them often. I had an accident with mine where he got a hold of plastic bag over night and when I went in his room in the morning and saw it, I instantly started crying. Luckily, since it was a bag I don't think he ate it, more like just chewed and spit it out. He ended up being fine. But, with those houses the constantly chew on them which puts the plastic in their intestines and blocks them which is fatal. I found a great website that sells all kinds of the "chubs" for very cheap (http://www.geocities.com/forchinatec...ncessories.htm). They have tons of great things. Please get rid of the plastic

That is very interesting about the andesite. It must seem natural to them or something. You should start selling it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Chinchilla attacking the camera

Lecturing about 'honor' and 'respect'

'
Just sitting on the rock

Sniffing the camera.

Seriously, the chinchilla only leaves the rock when she has to. During the day she just sits up there.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aw, what a cutie!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM

aww! She's cute....does she have a Name?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

lol i love your frame of mind, the cinematics of your pics is hilarious! I really dont know what you tell you, dude. Like, I suppose if (insert name here) likes it, then just let it be. How warm is your room? Maybe (insert name here) finds it rather warm and since the rock is cool, it's on it all the time. It's possible the density of the A* rock is lower (correct me if i'm wrong) than the other one (insert name here) has, so it's cooler.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

The weird thing is that it's pretty much below room temperature where she is, AND She has a piece of granite that is much colder than the andesite (granite is a more felsic intrusive rock - i'm a super nerd)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I can't think of a **** name!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Will It Ever Change?

name her andesite!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

...or Andy, either would be cute

Tags
dust bath, pet store