Chinnie breeders (long) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinnie breeders (long)

I do not remember if I brought this up some time ago, bur I'm in a really weird mood, and just need to let some steam out about something

I'm just so sick of people breeding chinchillas, without knowing the basics. And why do breeders have to say like "If you want to breed, I think it's GREAT!"
No it's NOT!
If you don't eaven know the basic genetics, or what you do when the chinchilla gets some basic illness, it's just not okay to breed.
I don't mind people breeding chinchillas from a petstore, but I think it's sick to breed petstore chinnies, if you know they don't keep males and females in seperate cages. And sometimes it's so easy to see if they are inbreeding, and people just don't care, because they have this "cute" chinchilla, and want a kid with the same genes. Thats fine! But then you need to STOP after you got the ammount of chinnies YOU want.

Okay, I started out kinda that way, but by the time I got my first (and at the moment only) pare to breed, I had a goal. Not just to breed cute an nice little chinnies, but I really think that what I'm doint, is something that is going to help in the big picture over here, at some point.
Over here people want big and "fur-like" animals. You know the chinchillas that looks kinda like one big square, and with at very flat nose?
I don't mind this, I just don't like when they look like that. I like the look of the wild C. lanigera, and I like to breed animals like this. I can't see what's so great about a 1000+ grams chinchilla. It's just WAY to big if you ask me...
I guess that's what you need if you want to show your animals. You need a standard that is very close to the fur-chinchilla.
Again thats okay, but it gets very annoying, when my animals can't be used for anything, because they are too small.

And back to newbie breeders.
What's up with getting a chin. One month later you get one more, and within a year, you have like 20 chinnies.
Thats just SO stupid, and most I know of who does this, end up selling most of there chinchillas after a couple of years, because it wasen't as interesting as they thought.
THATS why you want to keep a pet for some time BEFORE desiding to breed them!
And no, it's not okay to sell your animals after 1˝ years, because you have to move. If you don't have the money to live where you live, it's okay, but if you need to move away from your parents, or you want a bigger house, where you cant take your animals, you just don't get them in the first place!

I saw this add at one time, where a person got a new puppy, and this puppy and her chin didn't lik each oter, so she had to get rid of her old chin. And here i thing like WTF?
You get a NEW animal and toss the OLD animal out? Thats just SO STUPID!

And what's up whit "I rescued a chinchilla from a fur farm" - no you bloody **** didn't!
If they sell them as pets, they are most likley not good as fur anyway.
We got our pet chinnies from furfarms. Yes, they need to be kept the right way, no doubt about that, but you can't just forbid all furfarms.
People will still demand the fur, and then the chinchilla will just be hunted from the wild again.
It's just so STUPID that people think, that because THEY don't want fur, nobody else wants fur.

And it annoys me, when people got a chinchilla like 10 years ago, read a book, and think this is the whole truth.
What's up with keeping you opdated?
I got Bisse when I was 11, thats about 11 years ago. If I didn't keep myself updated, I would do a whole lot of weird things now. Like cutting rasins into halfs and only giving him half a rasin.
Not that it would harm him or anything, but it would seem kinda werid. Like when people misunderstand things, like "Chinchillas will die if expesed to direct sunlight" - ehrm NO... It can get to hot, but it's not like it's a vampire ore something like that...

And I just HATE that some people think, that because they feed their chinchilla something, and it died a couple of days later, it MUST be the food!
I've tried to explane to some people, that they do not die of eating dried bananna. It was some weird thing about the bananna should suck out some moist from the stomac, and get so bit, that the chinchilla would die. Kinda like the same problem you get with some birds and rice.
I could keep on forever with stupid idears like that.

Okay, this got a bit long, sorry about that >_<
But it did help a bit

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol whoooweee, feel better now?? that sure got a load off

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
lol whoooweee, feel better now?? that sure got a load off

A bit

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 AM

WOW! lol but u do have a very good point about breeding, I myself don't want the responsibility so that's why I have two males, and wonderful little guys they are!

Tags
seperate cages