The chinnie pumpkins where I work.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

The chinnie pumpkins where I work....

So, I decided to take it upon myself to do something about the warm chinchillas at work.

A few weeks back I brought in some tiles from home to place in the freezer at work. I talked to my store manager about this and he said it would be ok, and that I'd be in charge of it. Ok by me.

Let me tell you, over on the small animal side of our store, it's like a freaking oven. It is so hot over there, that every night the rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, etc. get frozen water bottles in their cages. Yet, nobody ever did anything for the chinchillas. I kept complaining about it and finally decided enough was enough.

I brought in the tiles and such. Yet, every morning when I opened, not one chinchilla had one in their cage. I was furious. What was the point of me bringing these in, telling people about them, and they were never used??

Well, I closed rooms today. I made it a point to put them in there. Oh my, let me tell you they absolutely loved it. They were putting their tiny little hands on there, resting their faces on it, etc.

Maybe now people will learn to put them in there when it's hot out. If not, crap will hit the fan.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm glad you're taking a stand for them. They're so susceptible to the heat, Chris figured out today after Judas why I freak out so easily about the temperature.

Let us know how it goes!

Stephanie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thanks for sticking up for them! Good job!

One of the main reasons I sold my chinchillas was because I was always worried about them in the summer time. It was a constant battle with my mom to leave the A/C on in my room. The minute I would leave the house she would turn it off. I knew it was a losing battle so I found them a great home where the people knew that they had to keep the A/C on for them on hot days. I knew it was better to rehome them than to lose them to heat stroke.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Where Dan and I use to live (with my brother-in-law) there was central air. It was a constant battle there with him to keep it on. He loved the heat, and we were always telling him that it needed to be cool for the chinchillas. He never understood it, and it was a losing battle with him. I am so glad we moved. The chinchillas have their very own air conditioning.

More people need to be like you when it comes to their animals, Scarlette. You cared enough about them to know that heat can kill a chinchilla, and you took it upon yourself to make sure they weren't in a situation that could be potentially deadly to them.

I even went as far as asking my store manager to bring in a new item. I said that if people weren't going to use the tiles I brought in, maybe they'd use this new item for the chins. We'll see how that goes.

Everyone at work knows how much I love chinchillas. I go even as far as crying when I see people buying the absolute wrong sized cage for them. I know that people at work think I'm insane, but I think even if they're not my own pets, I should care for them as if they were. People at work just do not understand why I love chinchillas so much. Which is why I get the constant question of why I own so many.

Karen

[

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Glad you took a stand, it is so hard here in Italy with no central a/c so initially we took our portable a/c and moved it into our bedroom and moved the chinnies in there and kept our door closed. This was good for the chinnie babies, but OMG we sweated our butt's off in the rest of the house. Thank goodness one of the guy's Darren works with lent us his portable a/c unit he got from housing (which is no-no) for the summer. So now we have 2 and the chinnies still stay in our room with the door closed, so they have thier own
We had the experience of the one going out on us (this was before we had 2) and that was the worst 2 days, we had 3 fans on the cage, frozen marble tiles in the cage, and Darren bought those freezer packs that are plastic for coolers, and placed them around the outside of the cage, the chinnies survived thank goodness, but it was scary just the same.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Way to go! Hopefully even customers will see the tiles in there and use them themselves. Chinnies really do need to be kept out of the heat. All my friends know to bring sweatshirts when they come to my house cause it's gonna be cold.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Great Job! Shane knew they were suseptible to the heat and was more than happy to buy the window unit for the chin room but found out first hand with Judas too...Now even he checks to be sure it's cool enough in the chin room! (our cental A/c can't keep up with the heat)

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
chin room, guinea pig