chinnie wont stay :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

chinnie wont stay :(

I have had my first chinchilla for about 3 weeks now, and i love him too much to say. He is a 5 month old sapphire, and everything has been going great with him except this one thing. We take him out each night for an hour or two before bed to play. He gets extremely frisky and frolicky, he spins, jumps and bounces, its just adorable The only problem is, he wont stay in the restricted area. We have a large couch and me and my boyfreind sit at opposite ends to better control him. He was content with running and bouncing all over the couch, (and us) until the other night. He leans down on the edge of the couch, getting ready to do a chinchila jump, and he does jump every chance he gets. We try to stop him by putting our hands in front of him like walls but he still persists in trying to jump off of the couch. Now he doesnt even want to play on the couch at all, he just waits for chances to flee. I dont think that he is trying to get away from us because he takes naps in our laps and happily jumps from his cage door into our hands with no trouble at all. I guess hes bored...but i dont want to give him free run of the house yet, because he hasnt been with us long and im afraid that letting him loose will weaken our bond. I guess its a pretty minor problem to writ such a long post about, but i really want to do everything right. I know that hes just being curious, but i want to chin proof everything and have a stronger bond with him before he runs all about the house. Are there any tricks to make him want to stay on the couch? Thanks so much

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Phawn; 06-18-2005 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

My chinnies are just like 2 year olds...if I dont want them to go some where that's is exactally where they want to go! that's just how they are.

I got one of thoese animal playpens...however I feel the pen it's self is too small but it works great as a blockade...i use it to keep the chins the the Kitchen...the safest place at our house since there are no wires on the ground and no little nooks and cranies to sneek into....the playpen streaches all the way across the kitchen entrance which is to big for like a babygate.
also I like to keep them in the kitchen cuz it's much easier to clean up their poos....

Any way I guess what i'm saying is that it's best to keep them confined to one area that's chin proof...no matter how long you have him he'll still try to explore anywhere else...but i wouldn't recomend full reigh of the house...it's just not very safe....I speak from experiene when we first had murphy we did that...he go behind and under the waterbed and trust me they are the HARDEST things to catch....

Just make sure you have lotts of differnt toys for him to play with...I like to have cage toys and outside toys that they only have ont thier time out of the care...that way it's always new stuff....also if you have steps in you house try fenceing him in on the steps for a change of scenery...my chins love it and it works with their natural love of hoping and climbing things.....

~Misty~

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

There is no way to make him stay on the couch. You best bet is to get a chin proof room to allow him full access to. The best room to use is the bathroom. Be sure to close the toilet lid! Make sure all cords are removed and any other dangerous item that could be chewed by the chinchilla. Chinchillas are not an animal to sit still and be content to stay in one area. They are insainly curious and if they think there is any way to get somewhere else they won't stop trying until they get there.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think that i will borrow my moms puppy pen, she has toy poodles so the bars are very close together. Its not fair to him to have him out and keep pushing him away from the edge of the couch, it cant be much fun for him when the only thing he wants to do is forbidden. Im thinking i will put pillows in the puppy pen and sit in there with him, i want to him to love me as much as i love him, (which is probably impossible since i love him so so so so soooooooo much). Any othr tips will be greatly appreciated, and thank you lixx and stormshy

Lois Isabel

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Newsflash: Chinchillas have ADHD...all of them., every single one. Don't take it personal

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Newsflash: Chinchillas have ADHD...all of them., every single one. Don't take it personal
Sad but true , im getting used to it though. We have set up two joined puppy pens for him and he loves it, weve assembled a sort of obstacle course for him, he has a blast in there.

Lois Isabel

Tags
sit still