Chinny hurt or somwething wrong. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Chinta0

Chinny hurt or somwething wrong.

Hey guys can anyone out there help me? I have a chin who has a puffed up eye on top and bottom. I need help. I don't want anything bad to happen to my chinny. Please help if you can this is an emerg. Scared chinny mom.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 11:51 PM

Do you know if your chin was in a fight? (If so you may be able to clean it yourself if the bite or scratch is minor) If not you may be looking at conjuctivitis, or the roots of the teeth growing into the sinuses causing pressure and swelling, or even an upper respiratory infection (watery puffy eyes are one of the first syptoms). Either way I'd say go to the vet, it can't hurt. Also what dust bath are you using? If the vet can't find anything wrong, some chins are allergic to Sunthing Dustbath because it contains fuller's earth.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:10 AM
Chinta0

What in the world is conjunctivits? He was not in a fight. Unless it was with his mate. I will take him to the vet, Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:38 AM

My one chinnie has a problem with eye infections (conjunctivitis). The first time I saw it I almost went out of my mind I was so scared. It looked horrible. Other than the eye he was fine. I had the vet check his teeth and they are fine and I changed his bedding and dust bath. I was given eyedrops and they healed it right up. He has a very sensitive eye and has had a couple since his first one so for me these are quite common. If he is eating just fine and not showing any other signs it could just be that he scratched it (I think all 3 of my chins have had an eye infection due to scratches) My vet said it is a common thing he sees because chins have such large sensitive eyes.

Please don't take my word for it though. Take him to your vet and have his teeth checked and if they are okay have then do a test that can tell if there is an ulceration on the eye (aka a scratch).

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:52 AM

A vet visit would be your best bet. As Dena said they will probably check his teeth and stain his eye to check for any scratches/ulcers/or other problems. What they do is just put a stain in the eye then rinse it out. If there are any rough places the dye will highlight those and it would be visible with a black light. They would give you eye drops if there are any problems.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:58 AM

Chinchilla you said it so much simpler than I did LOL! Thanks for making sense of my babble. (I drank a little too much coffee after dinner! - which would be the reason I am still up!)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:04 AM

lol I'm up with an essay that's due in the morning.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 02:44 AM
Chinta0

Thank you all. I muchly appreciate it. Chinta and I are going to the vet. Other than his eye he seems okay. Still eating and all. I have some eye drops I put in for tonight and the vets tomarrow. Thank you guys so much. I was so worried and now I feel some what better. I may even get some sleep tonight. Thank you again.
Take care all.
Cheryl

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 03:00 AM

Don't put eye drops in unless the vet prescribes them! There are many complecations that could come up because of that!

Tags
dust bath, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection, vet visit