Chinny Questions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Chinny Questions!

I have a few questions...I bought a female and a male chinchilla in hopes of having little chinchillas. Love them too death! Anyway, I bought the girl at about 1 year old and she was a bit tough to get to a comforting stage around my boyfriend and I. She warmed up but seemed lonely. When she was 1.5 I bought a 6month old boy chinchilla. Hoping they would mate. She has had babies before, but apparently was seperated from them early. I know chinnies are smart and wondered if she maybe wont mate because of having her babies taken so young? I did not do it, so I have no clue how early or painful it could have been for her.

She is about 2 years now and he is 1. He has no shame and will "hump" her alot she just does not seem interested. They have lived together for 6 months and instantly were friends. They were caged together since I bought him and she had no problem letting him in her cage. They cuddle and chatter to each other and seem so happy, but no babies!! He was not nuetered, anyone have any idead or suggestions on how to help them mate or is it a lost cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM

I personally wouldn't worry about it. I would love your chinnies just how they are and not encourage mating...perhaps even spay or nueter... due to this story, it is so TRUE...

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f125/...ing-39168.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM

She could be infertile.

I don't know much about chinchillas at all, I'd love to get one in the distant future though, so I have been doing *some* reading. But you shouldn't really have got an animal without having researched it first.

If you are serious about breeding it's worth having experience of the animals purely as pets before anything else.

Also, you should know an animal's genetic history before breeding.

How good are you at genetic profiling? Do you know what you're breeding for?

Hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. Not trying to be rude or criticize, just trying to get you to consider the reality of the situation. Breeding is expensive and time consuming aswell. Do you have the time and money to dedicate?

Neutering and keeping the two together would be a much better option.

In any case; this is a good, comprehensive website:
Cheeky Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Proud New Mommy

That's great that they're getting along. Female chinchillas tend to be VERY territorial and will attack their cagemate even after weeks of getting along. Tara already posted the link I was going to post. It's so scary what females can do to males.
Aside from worrying about them getting along you have to worry about after they breed and she is pregnant. A lot of females will become moody and they can get stressed out easily while pregnant. Preterm labor is always a risk with baby chinnies-- you want healthy plump ones!! Anything else comes out, you have to syringe feed them around the clock. I have had some not make it but I've also had some make it. It's just a big commitement.
You also have to remember that as soon as the mother has the kits, right after, she will go back into heat and the male will more than likely breed with her again. This is called a breed back and it can be very dangerous. The kits get trampled during the struggle/mating and the mother is not able to give all of her nutrients back to herself and to her kits. She also has to feed the babies inside of her which can cause her to become malnurished. Then you end up with a big vet bill and a bunch of babies to syringe feed around the clock.
Another thing is you'll have to have a breeding cage to put her into before she gives birth. Kits can escape through very little cage openings, cracks, and crevices. Most chinchilla cages are not suitable for kits.

Those are the worries that are crutial to be ready and prepared for. Aside from those, you also should have a good bit of knowledge for successful breeding and keeping everyone safe. Most people that decide to have a litter of kits have a scale for monitoring the female before, during, and after pregnancy, and to monitor the kits growth to make sure they're getting enough from their mothers. Sometimes mothers will 'abandon' their kits, some will attack their kits (have had this happen), and some will be great mothers. The same goes for the fathers. We had numerous cages for just in case the mother and father decided to fight, in case a certain kit was getting picked on, or in case the kits get attacked. We also had a heat source for the kits incase any of the above happened, and the ingredients to make formula.

It's so much fun but it takes a lot of planning and there is a lot to learn. Feel free to email me or PM me if you want more information. I have a lot of good websites and a little bit of knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

They have been cagemates for nearly 7 months now! Never a fight. Thanks for the info and yes I did research a lot before getting my chinnies. I know about breeding just wondering why it was not occurring. And I have seen that picture and read the story before too. Thanks and keep the info coming!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Proud New Mommy

Some females just won't let them but you said she just sits there. Sounds to me like he just has REALLY bad aim.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau