chins and degus... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Oily Chickenspew

chins and degus...

has anyone housed these two together before?? just a random question...

thnx

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I was just wonder the same...I for one would never house my chin with anything other than a fellow chin, but our local pet store, (owned by my ignorant neighbors) has a cage with one chin, and about 6 or 7 degus in it...the poor little chin was hidding the the far corner as far away from the degus as possible.

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Oily Chickenspew

same thing happeneing here

at a local pet shop there are degus and chins together and they're basically advertising that if you buy a chin get 25% off a degu or if you buy a degu get 10% of a chin and they are all living together...quite sad actually.....

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Part of the Pack

When I first got my female chinchilla (Chilla) I let her live with my 2 degus for a few months and they got along good. The only problem that we had was that Chilla liked to sleep during the day and the degus would bug her a lot trying to play so she would bark at them. We never had any fights and they seemed to be really good friends . Now we have them separated so that Chilla can sleep during the day but they still visit from time to time.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmmm...I never ever heard of people housing these two animals together.So I have no idea if it can be done.Some people house other animals together like bunnies and piggies and even rats and mice (which is VERY risky and not a good thing)...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yeah, i house rats and mice, and i have heard of people who have successfully housed chins and degus but they had a huge cage and the chin was able to be left alone in the daytime from the chins...i just think it really depends on the animals' personalities as well as the species.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

my freind had a ginnie pig and a rat and they loved eachother it was very cute my mother in law used to have a ginnie pig and a bunny in together and they could care less about eachother but they didn't fight or hate eachother they were fine with eachother.

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather

Tags
local pet shop, local pet store, pet shop, pet store