Chin's Health - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation Chin's Health

Well I got my cute little Chinchilla about 2 days ago now, when I arrived to pick him up (I adopted him from a girl I knew from High-School) I found out that he had a cage mate who had died 2 days before I picked this one up. She said he was in good health as far as she knew, but couldn't afford food for him. This led to me thinking it's possible that the other Chin starved to death. He seems very, very, very skinny. But the Chins i've held at the pet shop I work at i've only held with gloves, because a lot of times we get in abused Chins that are biters, safety first. So I can't honestly say I -know- how they should feel. I can feel his backbone, ribs, and rest of his bones prominently.

This is my first Chin, as soon as I heard it needed help though I was willing to look things up about them and do what I can to help it.

Well anyhow, I haven't messed with it much, so it wouldn't get nervous. I've got him quarantined in a room all by himself in a cage of course. He has Timothy Hay and a supply of Chin Pellets, I believe Mazuri brand. It's from the pet shop I work at, I just can't remember but Mazuri is the brand we stick with there in general. Finally he calmed down today, no more barking at me. He let me come in the room stand by the cage and even come up to the door, so I pet him. Today I also put a dust bath in for him to use, left it in while he used it then took it out after he was done.

Now, the question. And i've been googling and reading all kinds of things, the Chin earlier had kind of, crusty stuff on the fur around his eye. So I kinda helped him clean that off, and now I just got home and his eye is completely closed and he won't open it.

What should I do? Is this a serious vet emergency? he's 5 years old by the way. I've been doing my best to not stress him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, so I just picked him up and wrapped him in a blanket so he'd hold still (Gently of course) and I helped open his eye. However it seems swollen, his eye lids that is. It's sort of pink around it and it was crusty/gunky keeping it shut. I got it open, he didn't seem to be in a lot of pain. Definitely didn't like me doing that though.

Also I forgot to add, the girl when she could afford it was only feeding him Guinea Pig food (walmart's brand) and grapes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Adolescent Pup

Id definately take him to a vet, perferrably one who specializes in exotics. Probably some prescription eye drops will do the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I took him in today, thankfully the one we take our rats too also deals with exotics.
They did an eye-dye test and he had no scratches in his eye or anything stuck in it, just an infection, so we got medicated eye drops for him.

They said his weight will be fine we just have to keep him on a good diet! Oh and he's .9 lbs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 PM
chinchilla breeder

Are you sure it was just an eye infection? A good steady diet is what is best for him, lots of hay and fresh water and hopefully he will gain weight slowly and steadily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

As far as the vet told us it's just an eye infection. I trust this vet very much so with my pets too, she's helped a lot in the past. His eye already seems to be doing better now with the eye drops too, though he sure doesn't like them!

But yeah, we have him on Timothy hay and Chinchilla Pellets, I believe it's Mazuri brand, I get them from where I work at a pet shop and we tend to stick with Mazuri brand for animal feed, I just forgot to check the brand is all. And of course, plenty of fresh water.

He already seems a lot happier too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Adolescent Pup

that's great..u should post some pics for us

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I definitely will

Tags
health problem