chins and water - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

chins and water

I heard from a pet store worker that if chins are placed in water they loose their fur, is that true, i dont own any chins but i thought that was an interesting fact if true

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Part of the Pack

From what I know, thats not true. Chins are only suposed to be exposed to water if its under certain circumstances... If it was just to clean them off or a "fun" bath ( not sure if I said that right ) but if they stay wet, they could die. Because of the way their fur is I think water gets trapped in there and its hard to dry them off?

If I'm wrong... Please correct me. I'm sure somebody else can tell you more!!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 04:45 PM

all i know is that they should not be wet b/c they have WAYYY too many hairs per folicule (where as us humans have 1 hair per folicule, and if there is 2 we have ingrown hairs). so if they get wet...they cannot get all the water out properly, the will mold/grow fungi
that's what i know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM

Chinchillas have more fur/hair per inch of flesh than any other animal on earth.

There's a reason why you're only meant to give them sand baths. If I owned chins, I'd sooner just not expose them to water, especially since they don't come from areas exposed to that much of it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Proud New Mommy

Chinchillas should only take water baths if directed by a reputable veterinarian. If they have to take a water bath, there is a very specific way to do it so they don't develop fungus.
Their coats are extremely dense and therefore do not dry quickly or easily resulting in fungus infections.
To bathe chins, you simply put them in a container with chinchilla dust in it. They're great groomers and will do the rest on their own.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ahh, ok, so this "hair falling out" thing was a myth, not that i would bath them

thanks for the info sharing

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Part of the Pack

Yup. Definitely a myth.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:38 PM

*doot doot doot!* we are our own mythbusters heeh!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Part of the Pack

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

As far as I know, chins will drown, if they fall into some wather (fx a toilet), and the water is too deep
Their fur works kinda like a sponge, so after some time, they will just sink to the bottom...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Part of the Pack

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

wow..maybe that worker at the pet store exaggerated just to make sure the new owner would not put the chin near water for bathes and such...still that really sucks that they have to make up stuff like that and that this person buying the guy knew nothing and was just getting the gist about her new guy

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 02:53 AM

Chinchi, I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but from experience I can say that chins can swim and don't 'just sink'. Yeah, they get drenched immediately, but their fur isn't really heavier in the water than any other fur or hair. Those with long hair may know that it isn't until you get out of the water that you feel the weight of wet hair.

The only issue with chin fur getting wet that I've come across is that it doesn't dry, at least not on it's own. If the owner doesn't take the proper steps to help the chin dry, the fur will just get all matted, stay wet, and the chin may end up with fungus or mold. I can see how a chin may panic and then drown though.

The stress of being immersed in water followed by matted, wet fur could also possibly lead to a weakened immune system causing more problems later on.

Having had two chins unintentionally jump into water over the years, I can say that they don't just sink, their fur doesn't fall out, they don't transform into evil gremlins, and it's not a huge problem if you immediately start towel drying and blow drying them off and minimizing stress as much as possible, while also trying to keep them cool. Blow drying on cool works best for drying off a chinchilla, but you have to stretch it out over a long period (taking breaks to prevent overheating as most dryers, even on cool, still blow out warmer air) and make sure that the fur is completely dry. A dust bath following the last blow drying session is usually greatly appreciated and helps ensure that the fur is dry.

For those that are curious, one of the wet chins got away while I was cleaning cages. She took a flying leap off of another chins cage and landed right in my bucket of bleach water. The bleach worried me more than anything, but she was fine. The other was a chin who escaped when I failed to latch a cage properly. She ended up in a tub full of water. Again, she was fine after careful drying. Both chins were scared at first, but were back to their normal selves before they were even fully dried off.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If you leave them in water for quite a while, they will sink...
One of my chinnies once fell into a bucket of wather, and he had trouble geting up, 'caus he got to wet, and it was too deep...
So no sarcams here

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi
If you leave them in water for quite a while, they will sink...
One of my chinnies once fell into a bucket of wather, and he had trouble geting up, 'caus he got to wet, and it was too deep...
So no sarcams here
That's because they get tired of constantly swimming and struggling to get out of the water, not because their wet fur weighs them down.

Tags
dust bath, pet store