Claustraphobic? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Claustraphobic?

I am still working with Deja, the pink eyed white girl we adopted from a terrible home, and she is doing so well, i feel that we have really bonded. I went into the pet room each night and put my arm in her cage and talked to her, giving her the odd raisin when she sat on my hand or did something positive. That method has really paid off, and now she comes out on her own and doesnt have any issues with being scared or anything. Now everynight at playtime she waits at the cage door and as soon as i open it she hops into my hands rarin' to go (which is pretty good since she would run around frantically and wouldnt come near us at first).

So theres this small problem. After Deja has been out for awhile in the chin proofed living room, we have to try and get her to come to us to put her back, usually she comes after a while but the night before last she wouldnt so i bent down near the fireplace where she was hiding and tried to coax her out. She started making really mean sounding growling noises and seemed to be very defensive. She didnt bite me, but when my boyfriend reached under the fireplace to coax her out, she bit him. As soon as we got her out from under the fireplace she was fine. The next night we had her in the room and she hid under the shoe rack, and again growled at us and acted defensive.

Deja has never displayed this type of behavior before and im just wondering if it could be some sort of claustrophobia? Any ideas would be appreciated, i really dont like having to force her out, and i dont want to backtrack any of the progress weve made together. Thanks in advance everyone

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She probably just doesn't want playtime to end. Try enticing her with a favorite treat or dust bath to get her back in the cage.

You might want to do short times out of the cage, and give her an oat or something she doesn't normally get when she goes back in the cage. Make it like a treat for returning to the cage.

Be persistant and consistant and you can usually make things work for both of you.

Stephanie

Tags
dust bath, pink eyed white