Cleaning question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Cleaning question

has anyone ever heard of a disenfecting cleaner called Roccal?You have to mix it with water and it doesn't take very much.The vet office uses it to clean out the cages for pets who have surgery and also for cleaning off the exam tables and operating tables.They say it is safe for cats and dogs and only takes a few drops.Any input on this is greatly appreciated for cleaning my chinchilla cages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:07 PM

I use what is called Nolvasan. It costs about $40 per gallon. You also dilute this with water and it kills bacteria and viral thingies, it will also kill crickets so if you have any animals that eat crickets make sure you feed well before or after. I know it sounds like a lot of money but I have had my gallon for 2 years still with plenty left. Keep in mind that it does not clean stains out that well but that really isn't what its for anyway.

It sounds pretty much like the same thing and I swear by it especially for aquarium set ups (obviously not ones with fish in it!) But like hamsters and reptiles and my constantly nasty slimy frog tank

Hold on let me check the name of the actual chemical .................. Chlorhexidine diacetate. It may be the same thing just a different "brand name".

Well you wanted to know about one thing and I rambled on about another - Go Figure!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:32 AM

If the vet uses it, it must be safe. I would talk to the vet and tell him you are interested in it and would like to use it to clean cages of chinchillas, hamsters, sugar gliders and degus (I think that is what kind of pets you have ). I use either a bleach/water solution or a vinegar/water solution. Let us know what they say I would be interested in picking some of that stuff up (I needed something like that when I had the diarrhea issue a few months back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:13 PM

I knew I'd heard this stuff mentioned before, so I've been searching around, all I could find was another chin owner who uses it for everything except dishes and water bottles. Sorry I couldn't find more, I couldve sworn I saw more than that...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I got some from the vets yesterday.It is dark green and they said to dilute it with water till it is a light green like they do it.It cleans the cages in the clinic really well and disenfects as it cleans.It really smells good and it seems to cut off anything mess there is in the cage.Here is what I found and where I found it.I just got 100 cc they say that will go along way.

A one-step germicide, fungicide, detergent, and deodorant. The New, improved Roccal-D plus active ingredients (third generation quaternary ammonium) make it stronger and more effective against pathogens that cause odor and disease. Effective against viruses, bacteria and chlamydia in a 1:200 dilution . Neutral use solution means less skin irritation. Used in most kennels, catteries, aviary, animal care facilities, animal research centers, animal breeding facilities, and animal quarantine areas.

source
Quote:
Well you wanted to know about one thing and I rambled on about another - Go Figure!
LOL that's okay Dena all help appreciated.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:33 PM

OOOOh! I wish I had know about this first. The Novalsan is not a deoderizer - it has no smell at all. Since I will have my gallon for the next 3 years I will have to wait to get some Roccal! LOL!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

The girls at the clinic don't like the strong smell but I love it.LOL It says clean to me

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My exotics vet just LOVES Chlorhexidine! She uses it all the time for her cages and exam room ... again, talking about another thing!

Stephanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

The vets I work for are not exotic vets.Jade if you can think of it ask her if she knows anything about this Roccal.I haven't tried it yet.Where I work they say it is very safe as long as it is diluted in water.I have some mixed up.I put 4 cc to 32 oz of water.It isn't as dark as their bottles that they have mixed

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Umm ... I talked to my vet about Roccal. They don't use it in the office because it has been known to be carcinogenic in small animals. I wouldn't take it anywhere near my chins, Runt. She said the Chlorhexadine or something called Dent-a-Gene works much better and is much safer.

Stephanie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Thanks Jade I will check to see if they have any ofthose.If not I will see if they can get it for me.I just want to be safe.I read it was safe for birds but it said nothing about exotics or rodents

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:42 AM

Nolvasan is the brand name for Chlorhexidine. It is diluted with water like the Roccal. I guess that is why we didn't use the Roccal. Being a deoderizer I wouldn't use that for my birds either. I don't even burn scented candles. The Nolvasan contains no odor or at least very little.

Tags
animal care, exotic vet, sugar glider, sugar gliders