Common problem, w/twist - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Common problem, w/twist

HELP! My chinchilla's eye is shut, and is not opening! yes, it can be aided with warm water and a Q-Tip, but I can't hold him. Charlie The Chinchilla refuses to let me hold him, I've had him for a month and I can't hold him at all! or touch him. How do I get his Eye clean if He won't hold stil and I can't hold him?

ANSWER PLEASE I NEED CHARLIE TO GET BETTER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM

I believe this is something you need to get him to a vet. You can aide it open with warn water and a Q-tip but he could be very sick with a disease called Malloclusion. (Which I believe is a teeth problem) He should be taken to the vet and x-rayed. I am not a huge chin sickness expert...but I am pretty sure I have read this before in threads...maybe you could search Malloclusion and read old threads...I will try and find some and add links to them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:19 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:31 PM

How is Charlie doing ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS View Post
I believe this is something you need to get him to a vet. You can aide it open with warn water and a Q-tip but he could be very sick with a disease called Malloclusion. (Which I believe is a teeth problem) He should be taken to the vet and x-rayed. I am not a huge chin sickness expert...but I am pretty sure I have read this before in threads...maybe you could search Malloclusion and read old threads...I will try and find some and add links to them.
Thanks so much for caring about charlie! I knew closed eyes could be a tooth problem, but Charlie doesn't have one cause I checked him earlier, and he LOVES The new chew stick I got him, He looks at it like a treat! he is all better now. I just tried to chase him arond with a q tip. I barely touched his eye once before he jerked away and ascertained that the q-tip was evil! apparantly that was enough, because I came back an hour later and his eye was fine! Thanks again!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You can't check the moulders your self. You need to get a vet to check them.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do you think he got something in his eye? When i first got my chinnies (well must have been about a month after) my female Daisy was taking a bath and got an eye full of sand, i rinsed her eye out straight away and thankfully i got it all out but she kept it semi closed for a day or two as the sand had irritated her

Regards tooth problems i'm with Chinchi, just because his teeth look alright it doesn't mean they are at the root, only a vet can check these by an xray

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle View Post
Do you think he got something in his eye? When i first got my chinnies (well must have been about a month after) my female Daisy was taking a bath and got an eye full of sand, i rinsed her eye out straight away and thankfully i got it all out but she kept it semi closed for a day or two as the sand had irritated her

Regards tooth problems i'm with Chinchi, just because his teeth look alright it doesn't mean they are at the root, only a vet can check these by an xray
But he doesn't grind his teeth, he eats fine, and the stuff in his eye was just sand, It's fine now. Sadly I have to leave him alone for three days whilst I go to florida! I asked my neighbor to check up on him and give him his Timothy hay. i hope Charlie doesn't get mad at me
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Keep a watch on his eye. Two of my chins showed no other signs (no weight loss, ate great, no tooth grinding, etc.) and their roots were overgrown. If it is intermittently watery or irritated or continues to be irritated, he needs to be seen.

Stephanie

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
But he doesn't grind his teeth, he eats fine, and the stuff in his eye was just sand, It's fine now. Sadly I have to leave him alone for three days whilst I go to florida! I asked my neighbor to check up on him and give him his Timothy hay. i hope Charlie doesn't get mad at me
Not all animals show the same sympthoms, and many animals don't show anything before it's too late...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Tags
timothy hay