Conjunctivitis vs. Malocclusion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Conjunctivitis vs. Malocclusion

One of my chins, Peanut, has developed a watery eye. I took him to the vet who prescribed eye drops just in case it's conjunctivitis. She said to give him drops for two weeks and if it wasn't better to bring him in so they could check on his teeth.
I'm wondering if there is a way to tell without x-rays one way or the other? I'm using a new vet since I moved and I'm not sure yet whether or not I'm all that happy. I always want the vet to do things differently but this one weighed him on a non-digital pounds scale (come on!) and didn't check his teeth for fear of getting bit. My other vet would always pry their little mouths open on any check up and look around in there.
I've never had a chin with tooth problems before and so I'm just wondering if there are some things I can look for. He seems to be eating normally and I don't see any wet fur anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My vet always looks in the mouth too, a chin isn't likely to bite if they know what they're doing. I won't even comment on the non-digital scale.

Teeth problems can vary so much in degree, it's tough to really be specific. The watery eye and a slow weight loss (70 grams over a year) are the only symptoms Geri had. Otherwise she seemed perfectly fine. The only true way to rule out teeth issues is to do a full radiograph series of the teeth (4-5 views), unfortunately. Even then, her issues weren't 100% evident but on one view, which we took twice while she was sedated to be absolutely sure.

I'd say try the drops, it may just be an irritant. If that doesn't help though, x-rays and a visual inspection are probably warranted. I'm sure you know all the typical symptoms to watch for, but those you usually don't see until the disease is far more advanced.

Here's hoping it's just an irritant.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the help Jade. I'm hoping for the irritant thing too.

Good vets sure can be hard to find. I'm thinking of driving the hour and a half back to my old vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Certain chins can also get "icky" eyes after dust baths. I had one that we had to limit the dust baths because his eye would get icky. We would have to rinse it with a saline solution and that helped quite a bit.

A full house in Central MN
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hm. That's something to look into. Thanks kare bear.
Thankfully, his eye seems to be doing much better with the drops. I did notice that it seemed like the other eye was watering for a day or two also. So, I gave him a couple of drops in that eye. Poor little thing wasn't expecting that eye to get drops and he was ticked. It was cute.
I'll be taking him back into the vet probably this weekend. I'm hoping it all goes well.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Tags
dust bath, dust baths