A couple of concerns. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

A couple of concerns.

First of all, my two babies are very itchy. They especially scratch themselves behind the ears. Could they have a fungus? I am getting Blue Cloud chinchilla dust in the mail soon, so I will be making that change. I heard that adding a certain amount athlete's foot powder can cure it, but I think going to the vet would be better.

Also, one of them tends to be off-balance on occasion, and I catch her on her side or her back, and she is squealing to get upright again. Is she having a seizure? I'm so scared and I don't know what to do.

One last concern is that they tend to drink a lot. I don't know if that's normal; I mean, I've had one chinchilla before, and she didn't drink as much as these two do. They'll just sit at the water bottle for nearly a minute and drink and drink, and they'll do it often.

I have an air conditioner in here so they're kept nice and cool even in the hot weather, I feed them timothy hay (not alfalfa) and Mazuri food, and I have a calcium chew in their cage. The only place I have for them to run around is the bathroom, and although it's small, they do enjoy it. I ordered a metal flying saucer wheel online, and that's coming shortly. I did plenty of research before I got them so I knew what I was doing. I don't want anything to happen to them. I have a special place in my heart for chinchillas.

What I'm worried about is that they came from a less than reputable home. I mean, I got them from a breeder that I thought was good; I called them and the woman seemed nice enough... her husband even transported them to us. But I should have went to them and seen the condition their chins were in. Maybe they were sickly.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You need to talk to a vet..

About the water: Some drink a lot, some drink very little. If that's the way it has always been, no need to worry

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

What type of calcium chew do you have in the cage? If it has salt and other minerals remove it. What type of feed are you using? I agree with talking with a vet.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I called a great vet that deals with exotic animals, so they'll be taken care of. Thank you for your help.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Newborn Pup

why do you have a calcuim chew block in the cage? is mom low on calcium? even if she is you might want to be careful how much you give to her at a time. I would take that out.

And yes, some chins do drink more than others.

i don't know about the otherm, sorry..

good luck i hope they are okay.

jean

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Why would you take the block out?

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Rodentologist

The calcium chews you typically pick up in pet stores are not very high quality and often contain other vitamins and minerals as well. A chinchilla should be receiving an appropriate diet that provides it with the right amount of calcium.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 AM

I supply mine with sepia shells from time to time...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Rodentologist

But a treat like that is a lot different than a big wad of fake calcium bound together with junk with lots of other vitamins added to it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Newborn Pup

hi.

ok if a chinchilla is on a qualty diet, they do not need extra anything.. and pet store stuff is crap.. sorry but it is.

a way to tell if a chin has the correct amount of calcium is too look at her teeth, if they are the correct color...darkish organey.. then they do not need extra calcium.. too much calcium in a chins diet can cause problems down the road. [stones] now seeing as she just had kits, she might have white or whitish teeth so yes she needs some, but only a little each day, not here take the whole thing and eat as much as you want.. not trying to sound mean, i'm just don't want to see her have problems later on down the road, and if there are kits in the same cage as the calcium block, they shouldn't be having calcium at such a young age.
and if mom does need calcium a safe source to give her is: 1/4 of a kids tums everday. they like cherry flavor, or you can use straight calcium, but get it from a good source and know what you are getting is safe for the chin and how much to give her each day.
i don't mean to act like i'm a know-it-all cuz i'm not, but i have studied under super good breeders for five years.
jean

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 AM

Okay
We do not have that big of a problem with "crap" products

I do not get why the kits shouldn't get calcium though...
Really, there should be no harm in it...

A sepia shell in the cage won't hurt any animal They may gnaw on it from time to time, but they have quite at good feeling of how much they need.
The biggest problem is, if you have a block and place it next to the water bottle. A lot of animals are known to lick the block, drink, lick the block and so on, causing an unbalance in the system.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Newborn Pup

well i'm sorry if i offended you.. i was taught by good breeders that know the difference between store bought items that are not good or safe for chinchillas and quality items.

most pet stores do not sell quality food, some do sell oxbow and mazuri.. as far as all the others, they are garbage foods. those vitakract items are garbage. alot of items that say good for chins at petstores are not good.. i have learned what quality is and what isn't. i'm am not gonna sit here and try to tell you what kind of food or products to use, but i can advise if you don't want to hear it, then fine.. i won't try to help. i know for a fact that too much calcium can cause stones in chinchillas, you want to give your chin extra calcium every day, by all means go ahead. if in the future he ever develops stones, this will be why.. if you want to go to the pet store and use their products that say safe for chins.. by all means go ahead, even use one of thse big plastic balls that chins go in and say safe for chins.. if your chin overheats and dies, that is why.
j

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Newborn Pup

i would talk to a vet too
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM

You do not offend me

I've heard about vitacraft before, but I think it may be a different product than the one we have.
Our vitacraft is quite fine. It's not as high in protine as the "breeder" pellet, but that's a good thing when you are dealing with non breeding animals

But to be honest I think you are a bit aggressive, and I have no clue as to why.
I live in Denmark, you have no way of knowing what we use, and what's god or bad here.

Europe has a tendensy to do things in a different way, but if you want to go all crazy about that, because you've "studied" under some "good breeders" then go ahead.

I've been talking to some of europes best fur breeders, and I go by their word

And just so you know - all pellets are made from an aspect of what gives good quality fur animals, that breed a lot - not by what they eat in the wild

Go ahead and freak if you want to...

But if you hint that I abuse my animals one more time, I am going to report you!

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Tags
chinchillas, concerns, drink too much water, itch, seizure