crusty chinnie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

crusty chinnie

Well, poor little Elvis is just looking absolutely pathetic. From the hand feedings and meds, his chin is caked in gunk. I tried a soaking wet warm washcloth but it didn't take it off or do much good at all. I've read that you can use mild baby shampoo but is there another method that may work?

Obviously I can't 'bathe' him anywhere but that area until after his sutures have healed so it's hard to get it really wet. I briefly considered just cutting the fur off but I don't want him to flinch and get hurt, so that's out. Suggestions? Past experiences?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 04:35 PM
Princess in Waiting

You are a vain woman, Jade. Let him heal before you worry about that minor stuff!

In the meantime, possibly a colorful scarf or maybe a turtle neck would help hide the situation. Or maybe something with more emphasis away from the most unpleasant looking part - draw the eye away - would help.

:cool:

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

LOL. I certainly don't care how he looks, silly Critter!!

I just know how clean these guys are and it HAS to be bugging the heck out of him. Not to mention it probably pulls when he chews!

A scarf? That'd go great with the shaved tummy and the vet wrap around his midsection!!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Princess in Waiting

See? He could be a real fashion statement!

When I first got Maverick my breeder hadn't told me the correct kind of sand to get (she probably did but I didn't listen). After a couple of weeks he looked like a different animal - all greasy and spikey. Yuck! I called, found the right kind of sand and Voila! A beautiful chinchilla!

Thank you - you are finally beginning to learn that I'm gonna joke with you first (and sometimes always). I have a feeling we'll be getting closer as the months go by. . . .

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 09:01 AM

We use baby wipes when we have to handfeed. It may take time to get it all off but it will eventually come off.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:44 PM
KatPaws74

How is Elvis doing? I've been away for a few days...I looked and didn't find any update on his condition (or I missed it). I hope he is feeling better Jade...please let us know.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kat,

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...4&pagenumber=3

I think that is the most recent update. He is slowly getting better, though I'm still handfeeding and am now giving subcutaneous fluids to keep him hydrated. He's on Sulfatrim and a mild pain drug every 12 hours as well.

He slept on my shoulder most of last night and the night before when I let him out to play. He'd run around for maybe two minutes and then come crawl up my lap, up my chest and settle on my shoulder and go to sleep.

I happened to get a pic too, because it was so sweet. Just don't laugh, I just got off work and look terrible!!

Stephanie

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Fertile Myrtle

He looks so little!!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He does, even more so now that he's not fluffy. He got down to 561 grams, Christi. He's back up to 601, thank goodness.
If nothing else, I got a lot closer emotionally to him. He's been such a trooper through all of this and then to have him literally come to me instead of wanting to run around ... it just makes it all worth it to have him sleep on my shoulder and know he'll be ok eventually.

I'm hoping he stays this friendly though. He has me spoiled ...

Stephanie

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM

I am so happy is getting better! You are one of those girls who's "awful" looks like 1 of my better days! You have flawless skin!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 02:29 AM
Princess in Waiting

I agree with Capn - awful my hind leg! If you could see me now . . . .

Glad the crusty critter is on the road to improvement. I'm going this weekend to see Mike and Alice's new twosome, which should sink me deeper in debt. I've never seen one that small!

You've done a great job and followed all the right instincts - keep it up!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

geez guys, thanks.

He's still pretty disoriented and isn't eating much but I think he'll eventually be okay. My main concern is that he won't eat on his own. I don't know if he's just so used to being hand fed that he's gotten turned off his normal food or what. My step dad tells me to stop hand feeding him and basically force him to eat but I can't do that yet.

He ran around the living room for a good 20 minutes this morning though, and even jumped sideways off of a chair ... which I haven't seen him do since before the surgery. I nearly cried, I missed that so much! He used to FLY around that living room, faster than you could follow him!

Stephanie

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

Hate to disagree with the step-dad, Jade, but when he is ready to eat on his own he will. You may have to put just a bit of force behind it - be a little slower with the feeding than he is used to, etc. But he's an independent individual and as soon as he's feeling top notch that part will come through too.

I've waded my way through several wild animals that I had hand fed forever it seemed, only to one day get up and see them pacing for their food and ready to eat it on their own.

He's forgotten how for now. Give him time - that's been one sick baby!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

That was my line of thinking too, Critter. He'll pick at the hay cubes and the loose hay and occassionally even a pellet but he just isn't up to it yet. I've lengthened the time between feedings to about every 7 hours, as the vet was doing it every 6 by the time I took him home.

He's losing weight again though, which is worrying me. He's eating more each feeding, but losing weight.

Stephanie

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:21 AM
buny2phat

I am so happy to hear that he is so much better!! He looks sooo adorable on you shoulder. You seem very happy in the picture.

Tags
guinea pig, hay cubes, wild animal, wild animals