Daredevil Chinchilla! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Question Daredevil Chinchilla!

So Henry is about 7 months old and I know that when chinchillas are young they have a lack of depth perception and can get hurt being little dare-devils. Henry is very cautious when he crawls out of his cage, it is high up off the ground and when the door is open and I am standing there he slowly comes out to me and then jumps in my arms. I will hold him long enough to move a little bit away from the cage and then he flies out of my arms and onto the floor. It almost does not matter how I hold him. He flies. I am worried he is going to hurt himself.

He also does it in his cage. He will leap around the cage from side to side and jump up and then fall. Sometimes, he just falls off the ledges. He can follow my finger or a treat or Hailey (his cagemate) but sometimes I worry he might be blind?

Is this an ok age for him to still be slightly off with his depth perception? Or should he be checked out? I worry about him getting hurt but he seems to like the jumping. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM

I know my chin, Andy who's like 5 or 6ish years old still gets clumsy around his cage and etc. I just make sure that he has soft stuff in his cage so when he jumps around and slips, he usually just lands on a sock or piece of fleece