Degu's and Chinchillas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Degu's and Chinchillas

Hey im curious of how Degus would react around chinchilla's, from what I can find which isn't much they seem to get along...the Chinchilla's are only a few months old.. and i'm thinking about adopting them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You should not mix species.
Species can be mixed, but they you need really big enclosures and you really need to know what you are doing.

Degus are highly social where chinchillas do like company, but they do not need it, and more than 2 chinchillas together can easily end up with some bad accidents.
As far as I can understand, the degu is active both at day and night. That's not good for chinchillas. They really need to be able to sleep trough the day.

I've heard of several chinchilla/degu attempts, and all say it's good and the animals enjoy each others company.
But in the long run, there's a good chance your animals will die too early because of stress.
They can not understand each other, and will get frustrated from time to time.

Most times when you look closely at chinchilla/degu set ups you'll also notice problems with the chinchilla, degu or both.
I've seen a very bad case of fur biting in a chinchilla that had been living with degus. Many other things could cause this, but there's a good chance it's the degus that caused the problem.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
And a fem month to a year old chinchilla get some very drastic mood swings. When chinchillas fight, they can loose some of their fur so they do not get hurt. As far as I know, degus are not able to do this, so I would guess the degu/degus could get hurt really badly if put in whit a chinchilla.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with the above post and wanted to add one last thing...diet. Degus and chinchillas have very different diets and degus can't have the sugar present (usually in the form of molasses) in chinchilla pellets.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks a lot for all the input, I should have made it more clear they wont be in the same habitats, I just meant in the same room, and if they could play in the same area, thought it would be easy to introduce at a young age
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit997 View Post
Thanks a lot for all the input, I should have made it more clear they wont be in the same habitats, I just meant in the same room, and if they could play in the same area, thought it would be easy to introduce at a young age
Yup, having them in the same room should be fine .

I don't know about letting them play together...you'd have to supervise really carefully in case a fight breaks out. Chinchillas aren't quite as quick to accept strangers as degus are. Just be cautious.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Newborn Pup

My degus are in the same room as my chinchillas and they are doing fine. They are on opposite sides of the room. The degus haven't had the chance to get a good look at the chinchillas babies yet as we just got them last weekend. We want them to bond to us for a week before the chins get free run. When we have had our hamsters out in front of the degu cage they just observe in awe of them :-)

Last edited by jamilyn1216; 03-18-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: misspell
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Playful Pup

i have 8 animals in our apartment including two chihuahua terrier mixes and i can say from experience that chinchillas sometimes like company from other animals at certain times of the day, my chinchilla likes to be with guinea pigs from time to time and my mom's chinchilla plays with one of our dogs and they run around together or if she's in her cage she will come up to him, it all depends on your chinchillas personality because they are so different, my chinchillas are very active in the day as well as night because they are not nocturnal, they are crepuscular and yes they tend to sleep more in the day but they are most active between day and night rather than just night. I see them up and around most of the time.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

No, chinchillas are nocturnal.
If they are awake in the daytime, it's because their humans turned their sleeping rythm on the head.

Mine also wake when I come to the cage in the daytime, but if I stay away, they will sleep all day and play around all night.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo