Diarrhea help. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Diarrhea help.

One of my chins has developed diarrhea. I called my vet and they're not available until Monday. There's no other vet in the area thats experienced with chins. I don't know whats causing it, and my other two chins are fine. The one that is sick is eating and drinking fine, and playful as usual. The only thing I have changed was the hay, two weeks ago, and that was just the brand name (Switched from Kaytee to Oxbow). I don't know if that could be the cause, but neither of my other two chins are sick. Pillow is acting fine, despite the diarrhea. I've been feeding him mini-wheats and a local breeder told me to try some Kaopectate for children, to try to stop the diarrhea. Im looking for some suggestions to tie me over until I can get him into the vet on Monday. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Isolate the animal, stop all treats ans let him have his pellets, hay and water as the only food

Try and get your hands on some zoolac or fibreplex. It helps with the bacteria in the intestines. If it's a mild case, there's a good chance it will help

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Where can I find zoolac or fibreplex? And what are the ratio portions to give him?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The vet should have it.
Rations are described on the product.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo