diarrhea (sp?) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

diarrhea (sp?)

Elvis or Kiz have been having soft, sticky poos. I stopped all treats and reverted to pellets only, in addition to a piece of burnt toast. Anything else I can try? It started night before last and was still there this morning ... I also did a cage change so I could monitor them. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 02:27 PM

You can also try a piece of unfrosted Shredded Wheat.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 02:52 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I would seperate them - otherwise you won't know which one it is. Is it diarrhea or just soft poos?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 02:59 PM

I found that the opposite works - stopping all pellets and just giving lots of Timothy Hay and fresh water. This is the method I was told to use by a breeder and it clears it up very quickly. Am I doing it wrong? When chins used to come into the pet store and they almost always had diarreah. Feeding just Timothy Hay always cleared it up - I hope now that I didn't hurt them
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I doubt you hurt them - actually it makes sense because the Timothy has more roughage than the pellets - not a bad idea. And as long as it's not over a prolonged period of time - do what works!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd separate them but the other cage is being used. (don't ask, long story!) Thanks for the responses ... I'll try both hay only and/or shredded wheat!!

Stephanie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

mmmm... nope.

Elvis is the culprit and it still hasn't completely returned to normal. They aren't as sticky, just smushy now. I called his breeder for suggestions and she suggested he might have a bacteria imbalance. She advised me to give him some yogurt (no fun -- he hates it, no matter the flavor!) and it's gotten to this point. I gave Kiz some just in case and she is doing fine. I keep feeding hay and pellets, in addition to shredded wheat. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Stephanie

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 11:33 PM

I don't mean to be gross, but is it just mushy or does it have like slimy stuff in it? Try a small piece of burnt toast. Take either the hay or pellets away for 24 hrs. as well (not both one or the other) I do what Dena does, I stop pellets for 24 hrs. (also NO raisins for a while) If that does not work then I would recommend a vet visit. (I know UGHHH) Hope Elvis gets better real soon.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

you're not gonna gross me out, i've been LOOKING at it.
It was slimy in the beginning, now it's just smushy. I took the hay away for a day with no results, did the pellets the same way with the same result when it first started. I'm stumped. Going to try some more yogurt tomorrow after work and see how it looks Thurs. morn but I'm going out of town Thursday afternoon and hun will be in charge. I doubt he'll take him to the vet. I guess I'll try more burnt toast in the meantime. Thanks Sass and everyone who answered.

Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 01:49 AM
chingina

once a vet told me to use cider viniger in there water if they get dierhea or yogart...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Daria

For initial diarrhea, cut out raisins and feed extra plain mini wheat squares--pellets and hay as usual. Also Kaopectate can be used (consult your vet for dosage)the strawberry flavor seems to be most palatible to the chins--NEVER, NEVER use Pepto-Bismal!!!

If diarrhea lasts for more than 3 days, you need to get the chinchilla to a vet. Most likely, it has giardia-- that will require an antibiotic. Be aware that this is HIGHLY contagious, so quarantine the animal and use rubber gloves and wash hands thoroughly. Once the chin is better, the cage should be sterilized.

After any antibiotic, a course of yogurt (one with live, active cultures) is in order to replace the healthy bacteria in the intestinal tract that the antibiotic destroys.

Tags
doing fine, pet store, shredded wheat, timothy hay, vet visit