Did you manage to train your chinchilla? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Cool Did you manage to train your chinchilla?

Hi! I'm new here and i just love this site. In my country there are few informations about chinchillas so i really need advices. I'm very curios how did u train your chinchilla and what things did u teach her/him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The most common thing to teach them, is to hop into their cage after a sertain ammount of time.

Lets say you want your chinnie to run around for 30 minutes, and then you want it to get back into it's cage.
You start out with the chinnie just running around. You get it after 30 minutes, put it back into its cage, and give it a nice treat, you only use for this "exerzice". After a while, the chinnie will get the idea, and just jump into the cage after a while, and then it will expect you to give it a treat

Mine know what "NO!" means, and 2 of them comes (most of the time), when we call out their names

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 PM

I have my babies trained by their names and the jingle of a treat container. The sound actually came from their food container, but by hearing it they run to me and they get some hay or a chew toy as a treat. They also are trained to only pee in one corner of the cage...so for the week I can clean up that corner every other day and their cage stays a little cleaner.

They know what NO means as well.

They are trained to go to the top level when I clean the cages! And if they stay there and do not move around they get a treat (which is a chew toy).

They know that when they are out and being held on on my lap they sit and dont run. I hold the base of their tail...if I let go they run. It is not tight, just touching it they sit still and chill!

My babies are good...no realy clue how they got so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

how did u teach her to pee in one corner???i tried that "jingle thing" for 3 weeks and it starts to workbut o never manage to get her inside her cage by her own...still working on it and the name has a little effect on her she seems to understand it but makes no moves when i call her
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 PM

I don't know. I think it began when they were little (I have had all 4 of mine since they were babies) and I put untreated wood chips in the cage and then in a corner I add some cardboard fluff stuff and they eat it in the beginning and then they pee on it. My chillas pee and then cover it and pee and cover it and it is adorable. I just have some good babies. Mine come right to the cage with their names, or to me. That happened from container jingling and saying their names. I also take them out and they sit on my lap and my boyfriend and i sort of just continually say their names...! Now if you say Hay...she things you are calling her and comes to the part of the cage closest to you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

It really sounds adorable. I have Chupu since she was 4 month and maybe this is why i don't get any "response" when i call her i'm thinking she had a different name at the pet shop although they didn't tell me anything about this and i was to excited to ask...i was thinking how to get home sooner with my new baby!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genik View Post
how did u teach her to pee in one corner???i tried that "jingle thing" for 3 weeks and it starts to workbut o never manage to get her inside her cage by her own...still working on it and the name has a little effect on her she seems to understand it but makes no moves when i call her
To teach your chin its name all you do is when you are holding it everytime you give it a treat say its name while it takes it eventually your chin will learn his name.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 AM

My baby boy now knows where I tap he needs to go. My female mosaic is picking up on it...but this is quite new. Training is easy with treats! Too many 'candy' treats is not good for them, so I buy those flavored wood sticks and break them up and use those and tons of other flavored wood chews as treats. It does the same thing, but they don't know that they are getting something good for them and their teeth, they think it is a treat and they are having a fun time!! Find something they love, hay...wood, and use it as their reward! Thats how it worked for me.

Goodluck
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Mine know their name..... and i can usually convince them it is time to go back in their cage if i pull out a tin of rasins and shake them if i really need them to do something, i find that rasins work wonders.... good luck in teaching them to pee in a certain corner... mine make a mess of their cage They are lucky i love them enough to clean their shelves off eevery other day Let me know if you have any luck there, i would love to teach mine

Tags
chew toy, pet shop, sit still