Different breeds of chin? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Different breeds of chin?

My daughter and I were at PetSmart, and they had a chinchilla. It looked like the other chins we have seen in stores, but not like the ones we have, or what I see posted here. They seem to have more of a curved snout, does anyone know what I mean? Why do they seem so different to me? Another pet store where we shop has chins that look the same as the Petsmart chin. They said it was about 6 months old, but it seemed like a giant next to my parents, and Fluff and Stuff are almost 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am not aware of a chinchilla with a curved snout, but some of the really triangular ones (like you'd see in PS's) do look quite diferent then 'normal' chins.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

There are technically three types of chinchillas.

The costina type have longer, thinner bodies with more pointed snouts.

The brevicaudata type chinchillas have a blockier build and round heads/noses. http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/...mnum=789469217 - Is this kind of what you're referring to?

Langiera is somewhere in between the two.
This is more like what you'd typically see in pet stores, nose-wise.
http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/...mnum=793171239

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much!! So which type is the most common with breeders for show/pets and then for the fur trade? Are they the same size-wise?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Oops! And I mean to let you all know that I am just curious, not trying to breed for coats!

Tags
pet store, pet stores