Do chinchilla cages stink? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Do chinchilla cages stink?

I'm thinking about adopting a chinchilla. I was wondering if their poop is really stinky like rabbits? When I kept rabbits I had to clean their litter boxes out every day cause they stunk up their cages so fast. With my hamsters I only have to change out their litter once every two weeks and it still doesn't smell. Do chins cages get smelly? And how often do you have to clean them out? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

No, they don't.
Once every week

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 AM
RAT ADDICT

I visited a chinchilla breeder and she had about 30 chins.Well her chin room had no odor at all,despite there being 30or so chinchillas in there!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Nope, as long as you keep the cages clean they don't stink. The only thing I find that stinks is when they pee on their hay. I bought a hay rack that mounts on the outside of the cage, and it's helped tremendously.

I also use a bedding called Cell-Sorb and it works much better than anything else I've used. More expensive, but no odor AT ALL.

Stephanie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree my two omit little to no odour, i would say they about the same as degus odour wise My two have newspaper in the base (they have bars between them and the base) and i clean it out once a week sometimes twice depending on if it needs it or not

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Chinnies smell good. No stinky cages, and you can even buy scented dust bath now so no smells at all. They are quite clean!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Part of the Pack

hmm...i think my animals much just hate me then lol. My hamster stinks so bad i clean her every other day. and my two chins i clean about every other day as well, they smell pretty musty if i dont.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
hmm...i think my animals much just hate me then lol. My hamster stinks so bad i clean her every other day. and my two chins i clean about every other day as well, they smell pretty musty if i dont.
Female syrian hamsters do stink pretty bad. Next time get a male or a dwarf and you wont have that problem
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Part of the Pack

haha yeah. i just couldnt resist her though! Shes so sweet and never bites! and just look at that face!!! oh my gosh. too cute!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieV View Post
Female syrian hamsters do stink pretty bad. Next time get a male or a dwarf and you wont have that problem
Yeah,I have a boy syrian hammie and he doesn't smell!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
chin room, dust bath, hay rack, litter box, litter boxes, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters