Does anyone have a picture of.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Does anyone have a picture of....

a chinchilla who is panda marked? I'm not sure if that's the correct way of phrasing it, but I was talking to someone at work and there's a breeder close by that is trying to breed for that mutation.

I was curious as to what they look like, as the breeder I bought Stormy from had one, and she said there were five people fighting to buy him.

I'd like to see one, that way I can see if I can convince hubby to let me buy one. Hehe.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Panda marked is basically a mosaic with a dark patch around it's mid section. This is really just a fun term that some like to use.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Gotcha!
I was wondering about that, because I've heard of them, but have never really seen a picture.

And I can imagine that they're very expensive if you do actually see one up for sale.

Hubby was mad when I spent a lot on Stormy. I think I'd be outside if I bought another one.

But, I do like your signature. That's me pretty soon.

Karen

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

One of the members has a Panda Mosaic... http://www.angelfire.com/in4/chillas...rs/Cheech.html

I should probably let her tell you about him but I remembered his pics and decided to find the link. lol. I have no idea if that's what a Panda Mosaic is supposed to be, however. I've never seen an example of one aside from this. I don't know a thing about 'em.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Thank you Roz!!

I think I do remember seeing that picture, maybe on another forum? I'm not too sure. But I do recall saying how absolutely adorable he is!!!

Must...buy...another....chinchilla.

If hubby saw this post, he'd kill me.

Karen

[

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

You're welcome

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Yes, a "Panda" is nothing more than marking placement on a Mosaic...it's used for discription, not an actual mutation. Jade has what would be considered as a "Panda". His name is Aston and he's about to be a daddy!!! As far as a "panda" being more expensive, it shouldn't be any more expensive than a Mosaic with a different marking. Some breeders will say it's a "rare mutation" in order to make more money off a regular white mosaic. If someone tries to charge you more for a "panda" than what they charge for a Mosaic, find another breeder. A reputable breeder won't do that.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Mandie is right. No good breeder would charge more for color pattern.

Aston looked like that when he was little, but now his markings have darkened to show his ebony.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:20 AM
Part of the Pack

Not a panda, but one of my favorite pics of a cool marking. http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/...mnum=757921944

I thought I had seen a "panda" one on chinchillas.com but I think I had this one in mind.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Wow, that is a unique marking!

On a forum I use to go on, there was a chin named Cap'n Morgan. He actually had a ring around his one eye. That had to be one of the most gorgeous chinchillas I had ever seen and so unique.

I think my two unique chins are Dusty and Stitch. They're not really too unique, but Dusty has such dark ears and it looks like she's crying a little streak of grey by her eyes. Stitch has dark ears and what looks like a violet mask and some violet color throughout his body.

I guess pictures would help.

Karen

[

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Playful Pup

HI there everyone!!! =]=]=]
The first picture Roz submitted is my Cheech Jr. He's a wonderful little guy.. i have a ton of other pictures of him on my site.

www.angelfire.com/in4/chillas-n-gliders

Enjoy! =]

the story behind him even being is quite touching... at least to me..<3

everyone is right about the marking, a panda mosaic is just the way the dark happens to appear on the chinchilla. more like humans.. not all have freckles or moles in the same places.. just how the colors happen to fall on the being. its more likely to occur with an ebony & a white of some kind. although i guess you could have a light panda as well from a regular old mosaic. Cheech is considered a 'true' panda, i have had him seen by a few big breeders & they fell in kove. too bad its not a genetic thing.. then he would have little pandas too, but thats not how it happens.. yours have just as much likelyness to through that color pattern as my Jetta & Cheech(his dad had)
your also right, that a breeder shouldnt charge more for the pattern.. its the same thing, just can be called something else.. like a panda mosaic instead of a mosaic. i have been offered $300 for him though.. but i will not sell him, hes worth more than any money to me. (he can be called, an ebony mosaic, a white ebony mosaic, white ebony, a mosaic,or a panda mosaic..) i choose panda.. i think he looks a lot like one, so thats his nick name anyways. =]

anywho, thanks for all the nice comments about him.. i wish everyone could see his personalitly too.. hes GREAT!!!! <3 him a lot! =]=]
thanks again..

Katie*Kat* })i({

My loving boyfriend, Chris

Chichillas: 42+
Ferrets: Lucy, Salsbury & Dark0
Sugar Gliders: Wicket, Endor, & Modell
Hedeghogs: Thistle & Morndred
Please take a look around my Site & or join my PETS FORUM.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Playful Pup

oh, haha i guess she sent the link to my site to begin with lol didnt see that.. sorry for the extra link =]=]=]

Katie*Kat* })i({

My loving boyfriend, Chris

Chichillas: 42+
Ferrets: Lucy, Salsbury & Dark0
Sugar Gliders: Wicket, Endor, & Modell
Hedeghogs: Thistle & Morndred
Please take a look around my Site & or join my PETS FORUM.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Your Panda Mosaic was the first one I could think of offhand. lol. Hope you don't mind beating you to showing the link. I wasn't sure if you'd see it in time to show off Cheech Jr.

-

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
Not a panda, but one of my favorite pics of a cool marking. http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/...mnum=757921944
I love that marking too, the chin looks like it's wearing pants

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
reputable breeder