does anyone know about the leathal factor and chins - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:34 PM
terry

does anyone know about the leathal factor and chins

simba(3 year old male) and nala (6 month old female) will be sharing the same cage. if a pregnancy occurs, is there a lethal factor. I am also hoping to add beige female. does anyone forsee a problem? I tried to look up the graph and could not understand it.

lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:37 PM
terry

sorry, forgot to mention that simba is a silver and nala is a black velvet.

he he he

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Fertile Myrtle

No there is no lethal factor. This only occurs between two velvet carriers.

May I kindly suggest that you search the forums here and other resources on the net before you decide to breed. There is so much involved and a lot that can go wrong - please be sure you know all that you need to know before you let them mate.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:31 PM

I agree with Christi on this. Research and more research. There is alot that can happen with a chinchilla pregnancy. We have had a c-section, a female to die right after giving birth ) handfeeding for 8 wks) pregnant females to die. It can be heart breaking.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 07:29 AM
terry

im not breeding the chinchillas. and im on this forum just trying to make sure it is safe to put the two chinchillas together in case of mating. ive searched many forums and asked many questions. so now i feel confident. thankyou for the replys

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:48 AM

There is also lethal factor when breeding 2 whites together.

Please do not put your female in with the male until she is at LEAST 8-9 months old, and even longer if she is small. Also, when putting 2 chins of the opposite sex together you are "breeding" them, not just housing them together, because eventually they will breed. Please be prepared and have a second cage ready because before she gives birth the male will need to be removed from the cage so that a breedback does not occur. Good luck...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 05:22 PM

They are right, there is a lethal factor with two velvets bred together, and two whites bred together. Females should NEVER be paird with a male until atleast 8 months - i'm waiting until around 1year or more to start putting them together. Sorry to say, but once you put a male and female together- you're breeding. When she comes into heat, they'll more than likely mate..I suggest reading through the other post, and learn about breeding before doing it. Also, where are your animals coming from? I have to suggest NOT using petstore animals, or animals of unknown histories, by breeding these animals, you're basically ruining everyones hard work to preserv the chinchilla strain.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 05:33 PM
terry

well, saved one from a bad home and the other from a bad pet shop. they are both my pets and my main concern is not protecting the strains. it is protecting the animals.also, i know a lot about chinchillas and mine are not together yet however i fear that nala may have been impregnated at the pet shop, if so, she was only 4 mo. i know this is dangerous. does anyone know if a vet will abort.

thank you

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:48 PM

I think that it would be very unlikely that Nala got pregnant at 4 months. Usually, females do not experience their first estrous (heat) until 6-8 months of age. The best approach is to wait and see.

As far as detecting chinnie pregnancy, that is something of an art. I once had a chinchilla who was 10 days off of delivery with three babies sonogramed, and it was hard to make out the little buggers. (Although mommie was as big as a boat.) Maureen also faked me out and I didn't know she was pregnant until literally days before the birth (I saw a foot kick through her belly. That's a definate sign.)

Most vets are touchy about aborting. Some vets will abort and spay on cats, but surgery that goes into the abdominal cavity in chins is risky due to their small size and general distaste for stitches. (This is why vets wait for a young male chillas testicals to 'drop' out of the abdomen before neutering. It makes the procedure easier.) Aborting the baby would be as risky as delivering the baby or waiting until the baby got stuck and then going in - in my opinion, if you could find a vet to do it and determine if Nala was pregnant accurately.

So watch Nala. If their are babies and they do get stuck, an emergency C-section can be combined with a spay to prevent further pregnancy. I've heard to several C-sections saving the mother's life and sometimes the baby's depending on the level of distress.

For a more permanent solution, seek out an exotics vets and ask if they have experience in neutering. You don't have to do it, but getting the info might help.

Patti
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:15 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally posted by terry
im not breeding the chinchillas.

I am sorry but if you put them together, then you are in fact breeding them.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 02:58 PM

I have to agree with Christi there... But even if they are just pets, why would you want to "breed" to animals that will ruin the fellow breeders HARD work? I suggest NOT putting them together, or getting the male fixed.... I really dont think it's right to breed petstore animals, when you really have no idea who they came from, what is in their history (Malcussion(sp?), gentic defects, ect) they can even possibly be related! It's just far too risky...and honestly, breeding isn't really protecting the animals...I'm not trying to be mean in ANY way, but really- it's true...

Tags
black velvet, pet shop