Dust Baths? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Dust Baths?

I decided to give Henry his first dust bath about 4 days ago. I stuck it in the cage and Hailey jumped in and went nuts and Henry was mocking her every move, flopping around, but he was not in the dustbath. When Hailey was done Henry got in and ducked his head in the dust and wiggled a little, but never actually completely flopped around and cleaned himself. I tried again 2 days later and it was the same thing. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this normal?

He is so cute, just not quite sure he knows how to take a dust bath!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just keep dusting them together, he'll get the hang of it. Sometimes when they're new they don't quite let loose right away!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM

perhaps he's shy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I thought that, but he tries to get in with her and he flops around like he is taking one he just is not in the dust bath and i am worried he thinks he is taking one when he does that even though he isn't.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Maybe put in two so they can both go in at the same time? I'm not sure. My degus do that sometimes. One will jump in and roll around and the other gets so eager to have a bath that he rolls around in the shavings beside the dust bath, lol.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah my two are dorks like that. i just tell them "go into the bath you dork" then i point at the dust adn put my finger in it, then she goes in. i just think they get so excited, and they only bath one at a time, she just can't hold her excitement in. like a dog that starts jumping because it knows it's going outside. it's so funny :p

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE!! Well Henry finally took his first bath last night. He was so cute. He got a great treat and it all worked out. Priceless. So, I had to ward off Hailey for a few but it worked out, Hailey loves bath time so much she attacks me when I put the dust container in the cage. They are cute! So he has officially taken a bath!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:07 AM

that sounds so cute I need to go out and get some sand for my degus I've only had them three weeks and it takes time to get all the stuff i want
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM

I also was looking at hey for my degu and i want to know what is the healthies hay to feed him should i give him alfalfa or is this bad??????????
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS
UPDATE!! Well Henry finally took his first bath last night. He was so cute. He got a great treat and it all worked out. Priceless. So, I had to ward off Hailey for a few but it worked out, Hailey loves bath time so much she attacks me when I put the dust container in the cage. They are cute! So he has officially taken a bath!
Thats great news, once they get the hang of it there is normally no stopping them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebri123
I also was looking at hey for my degu and i want to know what is the healthies hay to feed him should i give him alfalfa or is this bad??????????
Alfalfa hay is ok as a treat now and again but not as a main source of fibre for degus. You are much better buying them good quality timothy or meadow hay and mixing it with dried grasses

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

That's so cute! Gotta love the first dust bath! LOL My female Chloe used to roll outside the bath too! But she got over it pretty quickly.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Chins will do that. Sometimes even flopping around in their cage when a chin across the room is bathing. Too funny. Some chins, rarely, even refuse dust baths.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I was gonna say maybe let him take his first?

I loved when I gave my chin her first dust bath...I laughed so long..

*Missy*
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Well it seems he gets so eager that he has to take it first and I have to hold Hailey even though she fights me. I had to take her out of the room the last time, but I left the cage door open, which is about 4 feet off the ground and when I came back a few minutes later Henry was sitting on the door with tons of dust on his ears and none on his body and it was so cute. Chins are priceless.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Part of the Pack

lol. My chinchilla marlo always gets into the dust bath house first, and Kassy will run up right to the door. And of course, marlo wont let her in there, and if she tries he will bite her, (cause its HIS dust bath after all haha) so she will start jumping straight up in the air, twisting around, and rolling on the ground either with her head in the opening of the dust house, or on the ground right next to it. Shes just so eager to get in she cant contain herself! Ive gotten some GREAT pictures from her lol =)
Glad to hear he finally got the hang of it! They are so cute when they take their baths.

Tags
alfalfa hay, cage door open, dust bath, dust baths