Dust Everywhere!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question Dust Everywhere!!!

With 4 Chinchillas and 5 Degus taking dustbaths, I have Chin dust everywhere! Every single day I have to dust and wash all of the furniture. We live in a small apartment so the only space we have for the cages is in the living room and that's where it's the dustiest. I even avoid giving the chins their dustbath before they come out to play but it isn't helping! On the thread "SandBaths" on the Degu forum I noticed someone said that using child play sand can be used for Degus (only after putting it in the oven to dry out and letting it cool). I was just wondering if anyone has tried this with chins and if they like it. I think switching to the sand would help my dust problem and I wouldn't spend an hour a day dusting and washing all the furniture! However I am concerned for the comfort of my chins. Does anyone else have any tips on the dust problems?

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't recommend it and it probably wouldn't do a darn thing for their fur.

Unfortunately the dust is something you just kind of learn to live with. You might try dusting them in the bathtub to eliminate the initial mess but they're going to shake off and roll in their cages too. A large fishbowl or rubbermaid container with a hole big enough to be a door can help contain some of it too.

Stephanie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah, I didn't think it would help their fur much, Darn. Their dust is in the PetSmart bath house so it probably contains just as much dust as the other containers would. I guess I will just have to deal with the dust. Taking all of my chins and degus into the tub to bath everyday/every other day would take longer than just dusting. Oh well, soon they can have their own bedroom for the cages and all the dust won't be in the living room. Thanks for the reply Jade

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Playful Pup

I really don't like the dust, it's annoying, but I manage (just listen to my family members complain to me about it lol). I am allergic to the dust (it's been getting really bad lately) so I have been trying to give the chins a dust bath outside in the dog pen and let them run the extra off. So far it isn't working, the dust still gets every where, and I get severe allergies!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Playful Pup

I let my chinnies run around and play, and then I give them their dust bath. That way, they're so tired when they go back in their cages that they just don't have to energy to bounce around and spread the dust. Maybe try that? I know some people get a thin sheet and cover the cage with it while the chinnies dust, leave it on for an hour or so, and then take it outside and shake it off. Hope this helps!

Animal Lover through and through!

Annie and Mishter Wittle!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You."
~ Jim Willis, Author, Animal Rights Activist
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Ooooo... I like the sheet idea! I'll have to try that one. I usually give mine their bath after they play too but I can't seem to get my chins to run out of energy!

The dust also makes my hubby sneeze when he plays with them, but my babies need their bath!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Question Dust Everywhere--Air Filter??

I have been thinking about getting a cheap(ish) air filter to handle all the dust our chin scatters everywhere.

Has anyone tried this?

Obviously, we weren't going to get a really good one - they're ridiculously expensive, and we didn't want to have to buy new filters all the time. Our thought was to get a clean-able filter just for the dust.

I'm trying to find one - does anyone have a suggestion?

Tags
dust bath