Eating...tooo much? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Question Eating...tooo much?

My female just had a baby 9 days ago today and I know she needs to get to eating and getting lots of nutrients to make up for what her body lost when the baby was born...but she is eating almost 2 cups of food a day and at least 5 cups of hay. Before the baby she and my male would go through that much in a week and a half. We found the baby the day after he was born, is she eating this much because she is pregnant again...? Or is this normal??

I know they will eat, this just seems like a LOT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM

eek!
that does sound like a lot seems how chinchillas usually eat approx. 2 TABLESPOONS a day....
i would call ur vet and ask what he thinks??
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Well he said as long as she is pooping normally and not gaining an excessive amount of weight she should be fine, and she did just give birth! I never asked him about her possibly being pregnant again, and wondered what those in the forum thought? But then as of today the baby is officially eating food too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Adolescent Pup

did u leave the dad in the cage with her after the birth??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

From what i've read in the past i believe they do tend to eat more when they are nursing a lot of people i know through chinchilla forums tend to give them supplements to build them back up after they have given birth. I would keep a close eye on her, if you are worried maybe speak to your vet again. Is there a possibility she is pregnant again, did you leave dad with her?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS View Post
My female just had a baby 9 days ago today and I know she needs to get to eating and getting lots of nutrients to make up for what her body lost when the baby was born...but she is eating almost 2 cups of food a day and at least 5 cups of hay. Before the baby she and my male would go through that much in a week and a half. We found the baby the day after he was born, is she eating this much because she is pregnant again...? Or is this normal??

I know they will eat, this just seems like a LOT!

makes me think she COULD be preg. again then...cuz i think by this you mean the dad was in there for a whole day after the bebe was born...correct?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Proud New Mommy

Just as a person would eat more, I'm sure a chinnie would as well. With the chance of a breedback (sounds like) I would definitly not minimize the amount of food she's eating as long as her poos are normal and as long as she's drinking. Breedbacks can be quite dangerous but can also be OK as long as it doesn't happen often and as long as mom's healthy!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking it is breedback as well. I had no clue she was pregnant and she is healthy and quite fine, acting normal and seems good just eating a LOT! Yes, dad was in the cage with her for 24 hours after the baby was born. He is doing good!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Proud New Mommy

Give mama some Calf Mana for added supplement in case she's been bred again.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I sure will...do I get that at the pet store or grocery store?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ontario Chinchillas

or you may be able to find it at a farming store

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 AM
Proud New Mommy

I got mine at our feed store.

Tags
pet store