Edible hut logs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Edible hut logs

Hello I haven't been on for a very long time. I have gotten so busy with all the chins I have little time for fun anymore other than the fun with my chins.

I have lots of customers asking about the edible logs made from honey and alfalfa. This sounds very unhealthy to me but I would appreciate anyones opinion who has used them or just has a veiw about them. My main concern was blockage problems and of course the fact that they wont eat their pellets. What do you think? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I've never seen them before but sugar of any sort is not healthy for chins.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Proud New Mommy

Never heard of them but I agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i know what you re talking about, i have seen them and they are very expensive in my opinion, especially since they will be soiled and ruined soon after. I have purchased some for my mice, rats, and hamsters though. But surprisingly they dont chew them too much, they have nipped, and my mice loved the hut with hay in it. Maybe if you show your chins the edible house every once in awhile it would be ok, this way you wouldnt tempt them into eating the sugary house instead of their own food

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM

I bought one for Hailey (my chin) and she ate it and loved it...but for the past month or so she has not had it she seems picky about her food, unless it is treats and she is currently pooping some slightly soft poop. So, they are something I will never buy again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM

My husband saw that and I think he was thinking about getting one for the chillas. I told him no, there was WAY too much sugar in there. He stopped talking about it after I said that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS
for the past month or so she has not had it she seems picky about her food, unless it is treats and she is currently pooping some slightly soft poop.

I used to put a tiny bit of treat in my chinnies food. And Marlo would eat food and treat. But Kassy (my GREEEEEDY chin) would dig through alllll the food, throwing it EVERYWHERE looking for treats! It took about 2 weeks of me not putting treats in there for her to stop! those crazy chins. So I only hand feed treats now. =) But anything that sounds like a bag, she flips! Thinking its treat time! haha --shes half blind though, so she is more sensitive to sounds than marlo i think. =)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Is this what your talking about?

info..The first 100% edible hide-away for small pets. Made with fresh alfalfa and golden honey, this unique 3-in-1 home provides a fun hide away, a great tasting treat, and promotes small pets' natural chewing instinct. Has a natural wood look and handmade thatched roof.

Small measures approximately 6"W x 6"H. For hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, and similar sized pets.

Large measures approximately 13"W x 10 1/2"H. For rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas.

Heres a thread that talked about it before..http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...ight=snak+shak

They also have this Snak Shak Log. i have this for my piggies but all they do is hide and run thru it.
Then there is this Snak Shak edi -bowl. http://www.petsmart.com/global/searc...4965662&Ne=399

Lve Never Fails

Last edited by luvnature; 01-07-2007 at 11:15 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Part of the Pack

oooh.. I might get that house for my hamster! She would love it!
She just got done last night chewing her litter container into TINY TINY bits.. ugh!! lol. I have wood toys but noooo she has to chew on the plastic one for her pee!

maybe she would rather chew on that =)
unfortunately up here there are pretty spendy..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Over the weekend while picking up my chin order I asked the people that I buy my chin supplies from (www.chinchilla.ca) about their opinion on these huts because I've been tempted to purchase one too. They said that they use them for their chinnies and that it's best if you don't leave it in the cage all the time and just to give it to them for a few hours while they're awake or when they're out for playtime. Other than that they said they havn't had any problems with the chinnies and the huts. They have 20+ healthy chinnies so I usually trust their advice I just wanted to let you all know what I was told, I am by no means saying that they are right .

Tags
guinea pig