Elvis - malocclusion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy Elvis - malocclusion

I was going to wait to post this until I knew something one way or another, but I'm really worried ...

Elvis may have something very bad going on. If you aren't familiar with his story, click his name and you can see our long journey and why I'm so attached to him over the others that I have. He has a watery right eye and has for a couple of weeks. It was off and on about two months ago, then went away with nothing found. Now it's back and constant. It scares the **** out of me. A watery eye often means malocclusion and root based at that, since he's having no other symptoms. This is exactly what another of my chinchillas (Geri, his old cagemate) did, and I euthanized her in December.

I refuse to 'treat' malocclusion that is based in the roots. There's no way to reduce that and it has to be uncomfortable for them - I won't be selfish and put a chinchilla of my own through it. If it were surface teeth you could trim them, but you can't trim the roots. I would never judge someone else for trying to keep the chin comfortable, but I personally just can't do it. I can't bear the thought of them being in pain. If it IS malocclusion, I'm going to have to make an ugly, ugly decision and I'm not sure I'm strong enough to do that for him. That's my baby ...

Please, let this be something simple like an eye infection. If it is the worst case scenario that I think it is, please let me have the strength not to be selfish and let him go.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh my goodness...I am sorry!*hugs*...I hope it isn't bad!

I rescued a rat with malocclusion.He needed his teeth trimmed every couple of weeks and his jaw grew deformed.Poor baby needed frequent vet visits and recently passed.

How different is malocclusion (if at all) in chins and rats?

Anyway I hope things are not too serious with your baby.Sending good vibes and hugs!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM

oh Stephanie, I'm sorry to hear about Elvis.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts & prayers. Hopefully it will just be the eye infection.

Give that sweet little furbaby a little kiss from my Elvis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Stephanie I am so sorry - I can only imagine how hard this is, especially with Elvis. Fingers, toes & eyes crossed it is NOT the "worst case scenario"

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Ugh...I don't even know what to say Steph. Thoughts and prayers going your way.

Rhonda

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM

Steph, I am hoping and praying Elvis does not have the dreaded "M" word. Hugs to you hon.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks guys. I didn't sleep well last night and can't stop thinking about it today ... his appointment is tomorrow at three. I'll update when I know something.

Stephanie

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fingers crossed it turns out to be nothing for the pair of you

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no Steph.. Elvis is in my thoughts and prayers and I pray that's not what it is.
You know I'm here if you need to talk, hon. Fingers crossed for him!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM

So sorry to hear about Elvis Best wishes for the little guy
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Hugs and prayers for you both.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy

I hate being right. The x-rays and oral exam show significant dental disease, including the roots.

Elvis is on pain meds and antibiotics (one of the teeth is loose and abscessed) for the weekend. He'll get all the playtime, raisins/treats, and dust baths he wants this weekend. Then I'm going to say my goodbyes and let him go. I can't stand to see him suffer through something so painful that I ultimately cannot fix. I won't do that.

Stephanie

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 PM

I can't begin to say how sorry I am, not that words can offer much solace anyhow. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Finding the courage to make this unselfish gesture is the best thing, as much as it hurts your heart.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh gosh Steph... I don't know what to say.... I was praying so hard that wasn't what was wrong. I'm so, so sorry. You and Elvis are still in my thoughts and prayers, and we're all here for you.

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Jackie and Millie.

Stephanie

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, vet visit, vet visits