Elvis Update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Elvis Update

Well his ear finally healed, and fell off! He's holding his weight at a little under 500 grams, but still won't eat or drink on his own!

I stopped his antibiotic and went out today to get some children's chewable acidophilus, which he enjoyed. We're headed back to the Doc on Thursday morning to check his liver values (pray that the dandelion helped!!) and his teeth, since he's on a mainly liquid diet! I'm so ready for him to get better -- he's bouncing off walls as if nothing is wrong, the little buggar!

Here are some pics for you all!

One of his ear:

You can see how thin he is in this picture. I just wince every time I pick him up, because I can feel every little rib.

And a side view, showing how thin he is again and his poor fur. Hopefully the ear will close completely and he can have another dust bath soon! He chewed his fur again for the trip up to Ohio from being in the carrier and in the car for 8 hours, poor thing.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I am hoping and praying the little guy will soon be back up to full speed with his health and weight very soon

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 11:20 PM

Jade, thanks for keeping us all updated! I hope his liver is doing better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 12:31 AM

Elvis, we all love you and want you to get better. You listen to your mommy and vet and get well. We'll be praying for you and your mommy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:49 AM

awwww poor guy. Whatever his ailment is I sure hope he gets well soon.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 07:23 AM

I knew you could do it Elvis. I hope that the liver values are where they need to be.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks everyone.

Chrisanne ... There are quite a few threads about it here but to sum everything up, he was neutered August 7th by a vet who lied about his experience with chins and $2000 and nearly two months later, this is where we are. He was 600 grams the day of the surgery and is currently under 500. It's been quite the battle but he's hanging in there.

Stephanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:38 AM
Fertile Myrtle

What happened to his ear? I missed that.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

We're not entirely sure! It just started to die ... kind of crinkled up and then fell off. It never seemed to hurt him, and has healed without infection so we weren't really worried about it. I think it's just his trophy for coming through all of this.

I'm calling him my Tyson baby though!

Stephanie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 01:37 PM
buny2phat

Elvis I hope that you get better. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mommy.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:20 PM

Oh Jade he is adorable! Hope he's feeling better soon.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Donna & Dina. He's on his way to getting better, and me to getting more sleep! LOL.

Stephanie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:14 PM

He looks very good, Jade. And the good news is that they really do plump up within about 3 months of the surgery. It takes about 2 months for all the hormones to clear their systems, so he should fill out soon.

The ear looks fine. I thought that it was the whole ear, but that's not bad at all. We all have a chin missing something: a finger from a fight, a tail, a leg. This is what makes out chins special.

We continue to pray for you.

Patti
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Princess in Waiting

He looks pretty good, Jade, considering what he's been through. Did you come through it as well as he did? The ear is interesting - like it atrophied and part of it just sloughed off. All his blood and healing powers must have been going to other parts of his body. That's okay - I still say it gives him a mysterious air!

Thanks for sharing the pix with us. I understand the stress you've been under with him (and your life) and the good news is you STILL have him!

Later,
Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
And the good news is that they really do plump up within about 3 months of the surgery. It takes about 2 months for all the hormones to clear their systems, so he should fill out soon.
Okay Patti, I REALLY needed to hear that! Thank you!

Quote:
The ear is interesting - like it atrophied and part of it just sloughed off. All his blood and healing powers must have been going to other parts of his body.
That's what it looked like to me! He wasn't with anyone for it to have been a fight, we were very careful during the anaesthesia with the heating pad so it isn't a burn ... Who knows?!

He's definitely my baby, and I wouldn't trade him for the world! Thank all of you for the support, advice, and well wishes!!

Stephanie

Tags
dust bath, heating pad