Elvis Update: Pray for Poo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Elvis Update: Pray for Poo

Jade got Elvis home safe tonight - she has to handfeed him every 4 hours so let's all pray for poo so she doesn't have to take him back to the vet in the morning.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:36 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with them

Wondering if the vet has given him a little yogurt to help his tummy with all of the antibiotics he is taking.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Sending them lots of and praying Elvis gets better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 08:44 AM
buny2phat

I will keep my throughts and prayers with both Elvis and Jade.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Elvis refuses yogurt - even Jade can't get him to take any.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 09:41 AM

That might be why he isn't pooing. Antibiotics can mess their tummies up causing them not to poo. Bene-bac gel will work too.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hi guys, thanks for the prayers.

I called in 'sick' today from work to stay home with Elvis. There were 3 or 4 droppings in the cage, but that's it this morning. I'm taking him in today to get an ultrasound. I've also got Audi with me to get the comparative blood work done.

He just wants to sleep, the poor thing. I put him down on the floor and he just ran around for a minute then hid under the footstool.

Sassy, I DID manage to get 1/2 of a CC of yogurt into him this morning, about 2 hrs after the meds. I'll keep doing this, but I'm wondering if just some plain live culture is in order. I'm going to ask the doc.

Again, thanks for the support and prayers.

Stephanie

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 03:14 PM
buny2phat

Jade I hope that everything goes well at the doctors today.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 09:39 PM

Jade you know we you and want the best for Elvis! Hope all goes well!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well I left him there again last night. She did the ultra sound and found a pocket of liquid in the scrotum. She came out and asked me about sedating him and going in to drain it and flush it out and I gave her permission to go ahead.

Inside was a massive amount of pus, dead tissue, and sutures that had come off. She flushed it out and drained it as best she could, and as she was doing this, noticed that the inguinal canal (leads into the abdomen) was open, which means the infection probably spread there as well. He has a drain coming from his scrotum and sutures up both sides. We have to keep a very close eye on him but I went and picked him up this morning.

He looks so pathetic. In order for the drain to stay in place, they had to fashion a sort of 'back pack' for him with vet wrap. It's snug so that he can't remove it and he looks so THIN. It's amazing how much fur they have. I have to change the drain's vaccutube daily and monitor his sutures, in case he needs an E collar. He's left them alone so far, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still going to handfeed him but I'm going to mix Mazuri in with the Critical Care so he can get used to the flavor again. He hasn't eaten on his own in any significant amount since the day after the surgery.

He's also on Sulfatrim, anti-gas meds, another antibiotic I can't remember the name of, and a pain medicine.

In my mind, the dead tissue itself combined with the infection gives me grounds to go after that vet who did the surgery. If a lawyer tells me I don't really have a case, I'm taking it to one of those evening news trouble shooter people. I'm into this for over $1000 now, but as long as I get my baby back, I'll be happy. The rest will come if it's meant to, I suppose.

I SO don't want to be here at work today. He's at home with my mom and one of my friends who drove down from Ohio until I get off at 7pm.

Stephanie

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 02:33 PM

Jade, i hope you start seeing some improvement over the next couple of days. When will you go to a lawyer? Are you continuing to take pictures of Elvis for if you have to go to court?
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm going to get in touch with a lawyer this week, and I'm documenting EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the well wishes, Capn. I think the worst is over ... it's just getting back to normal that we have to work on now.

Stephanie

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 03:16 PM

Jade, I'm so happy to hear that you found a good vet, between you and her Elvis is in very good hands! I hope you go after that a$$hole with everything you've got, don't forget to tack on emotinal distress and court/lawyer fees...get 'em Jade! Huggies for you and Elvis too
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Proud New Mommy

yeah- its great that you all found a good vet, elvis should pull out of this- hes a tough little man... everyone is doing all they can do- thankfully! get rid of that stupid vet that acted like he knew what he was doing before- what a peice of... well forget it- you know what he is... eeerrgg... the new vet will help so much more- good job for finding him, jade

my thoughts are with you... keep the vibes positive :hershey:

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Things are FINALLY looking up. Once I got home, I checked the drainage tube and noticed there was not a drop of fluid in there. (yay!!) I called the office and had them page the doc. No later than 45 seconds after I hung up, the phone rang. It was the doctor. She'd had a sudden urge to call.

I asked her about removing the drain and she said to bring him on in. I also asked about some under the skin fluids, since he still has little interest in his water bottle and she thought that was an excellent idea. So I took him up and had both done, much to Elvis' relief. The wrap moved forward because of his shape and was at his front elbows, making movement interesting for him. He was much more active and much happier once we got home.

When feeding him the Critical Care, he reaches for the syringe with his paws and eats eagerly. I'm still syringe feeding him water mixed with Pedialyte but I'm sure that'll change soon too. He even took a good bit of hay out of my fingers today, much to my surprise. Not to mention he's actually pooing!! They're a bit soft, I'm assuming due to the antibiotics and lack of hay. I'm trying to get more hay into him to correct this, and even got a piece of shredded wheat (coated in Nutri-Cal) in him.

The best part is he's leaving the sutures alone. They look fantastic, no redness or irritation at all. Not to mention he came out of the cage today and I actually had to chase him down!!

Thank you all for your continued support ... I don't know how I'd still be functioning if I didn't have people who understood what I was going through.

Stephanie

Tags
health food store, shredded wheat