Ernie update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Ernie update

Well, Ernie went to the vet today. The vet found a lump in his lower jaw and came to the conclusion that it is either a bone infection (most probable he says), or a tumor. He can't biopsy it because he says that it will be too much trauma for his jaw. The lump is messing up the alignment of his teeth and had one molar about to fall out, so he pulled that one. I'm a little irritated that he didn't call me or anything and consult me first, that's the second tooth he's pulled and they only have so many, ya know? So, we're gonna give baytril a shot since the sulfas haven't been effective, and hope that between the tooth coming out and the antibiotic it will drain and/or clear up with the baytril. I have to go pick him up pretty soon, hopefully I'll know a little more when I get back after talking to the vet more.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get pellets ground up really fine? I don't have a food processor. Usually I just soak them and mush them, but that doesn't make it fine enough to go through a syringe and I have a feeling I'm going to have to forcefully syringe feed him Also gonna pick up some different flavors of yogurt and some benebac if they have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:38 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Oh man.... This lump is new? You didn't know about it before? If it is a bone infection, with the tooth gone, it will go away?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:39 PM

Do you have a coffee grinder or a blender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sorry Becki. I was just about to ask you how he was. Is he sure the lump on the jaw isn't a molar root instead of a tumor/infection? Did they repeat the x-rays?

Coffee grinders work well for grinding pellets. There are some cheapie ones out there that would probably do better than just soaking for now.

If you can get acidophilus/lactobacillus capsules from the store, go with those. Yogurt contains lactose which can be hard for adult herbivores to digest in repeated doses. You'll also get a better concentration with the capsules and can mix it in the pellet mash.

Elvis liked baby food bananas (Gerber makes an organic that he preferred) mixed in the pellets when I didn't have Critical Care. He tolerated the same brand of applesauce too. Praline likes Cranberry Juice in her Critical Care. They're all different - she hated the banana.

Good luck with him, Becki. I'll try to see if I can find any info on jaw infections or tumors for you.

Stephanie

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

The lump wasn't detectable before but it's probably just been too small until now.

I don't have either, but I'll see if I can pick up a cheap coffee grinder or something tonight on the way home, I didn't think of that before!

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just FYI, I still have about $20 here for you, two of it checks that I need to deposit. I was just waiting on pay day (today) so I could get them to you without waiting on them to clear. Might help buy a coffee grinder if you need it.

Stephanie

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Thanks Jade, I'll add acidophilus and babyfood to the list, I just saw acidophilus at walmart last time I went, shoulda grabbed some then!

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Jade, what exactly is critical care? I thought it was like nutrical but it's a whole different pellet thing isn't it?

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Ohh, and how much acidophillus do you use? Does it matter much?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Critical Care is a manufactured powder that is primarily timothy hay. It's fortified with vitamins and probiotics too. It mixes easily with liquid and is much easier to feed.

When I asked, my vet said it's hard to overdose on acidophilus. I was giving about 1 CC of liquid twice daily.

Stephanie

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Becki,
I have a small coffee bean grinder that I never use, if ya want it I'm more than willing to give it to you! I can send it out to you tomorrow... just let me know
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Becki I hope that Ernie starts to get better soon......this must be soooo tough on you. Keep us updated. Sorry I can't be of any more help to you....we don't have Chinnie's in aus so I have no ideas.
Just a curious question....how long do healthy chins live for?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Carmen, the oldest chin I knew of just died a month ago or so at age 29. Average is anywhere from 10-20, depending. It was one of the things that attracted me to them as pets - they weren't going to die of old age in 4-5 years.

Stephanie

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I am sorry to hear about the lump.Poor Ernie he is a fighter.If there is anything I can do please let me know.I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Kay, thank you so much I picked one up while I was out today though. If I got a crappy one I'll drop you a pm.

Talking to the vet today it seems like we're almost out of options. He's concerned with damaging or breaking Ernies jaw if he tries to biopsy the lump. He says that if we can figure out what it is the choices for a tumor are to try to remove it, which he will not do for fear of breaking the jaw. Chemotherapy treatment, which he also said that he personally wouldn't do (and I agree). Or removing part of the jaw. Which he said he could do but wouldn't consider such a thing in his own animal (I also agree with that). So, we had a quality of life discussion. We're going to do baytril and metacam for 2 weeks and go back for a check up. Hopefully after 2 weeks he will be perked up and the lump will have shrunk. That's pretty much the only option for the infection and we're kind of assuming that's what it is since that seems likely (would explain the slight improvement with antibiotics in the past), and since there's not much to do the other way. This will either clear up the bone infection, or if it at least helps he says we can do "long term antibiotic therapy," so basically antibiotics forever as long as they work. I don't know how good that would be for Ernie either.
So, we're trying antibiotics and anti-inflammatory/pain killers with the best hopes and we'll see where we are in a couple weeks.
Thank you so much for everything you guys, you really help me to get through what I need to do and keep me from just burying my head in the sand.

Tags
timothy hay