Excited! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking Excited!

Hi all!

The other half (Ryan) and I recently found a lady whos chin is expecting to give birth sometime in the next week. We've been looking for a young one under three months old for the last couple months.

So. She's told us if all goes well, we should be able to have a new critter in the next couple months as soon as they are ready to go!

Still need to get all the supplies because we were baby sitting a friends for 6 weeks to test out how a chin would fit in our lives, and didn't have the space for a second cage/accessories, but we have a list written up and have already priced everything out/set aside the money and should get that in the next couple weeks.

On that note though... for a very young chin, any special care that needs to be addressed? The breeder said she'll give us a care sheet and talk to us once the litter is born and we go meet the babies, but I thought it could be nice to also check with other owners

Menagerie Slave:
5 betta fish: 2 CT males (Kai and Amp), 2 VT males (Sin and Poi), 1 PK female (Uda)

2 rosehair tarantulas: 18 yr old Female (Tiberius), 10 yr old male (Tyrus)

bearded dragon: 10 mos old male (Altair)

Soon to be chinchilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Newborn Pup

Thumbs up attention attention attention!

Here's a few little tip If you want a friendly chin make sure to always play with it while it's still little give it extra extra attention so it can get used to you and know your scent. Basically just like human being the more the child is played with the more the child will be sociable. Chins are the same way! =D

Michelle

Last edited by Jade; 05-14-2010 at 03:03 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Nope, nothing special.
Just treat it as you would any other chinnie.

I do not agree with Michelle though. It doesn't hurt to pay more with the chin while it's little, but you should play/talk just as much to it when it's an adult chin.
But some animals will never get to like being held or being "good pets", no matter how much time you spend on them. The chinchilla is still a very wild animal.
I've actually just sold a kit and he didn't mind being held, but he was all over the place. I doubt he's ever going to be a chinchilla that can be cuddled with...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

I agree with chinchi, its the same as taking care of an adult chinchilla. i have noticed with mine though, that depending on how big it is when you get it (if its older than 8 weeks you should not have this problem), it may be able to squeeze through the bars of whatever cage you get/have.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the cage is 8/10 of an inch.. the baby is supposed to be between 4-6 weeks when we get it... will that work do you think? or should we make sure to have barriers just in case?

Menagerie Slave:
5 betta fish: 2 CT males (Kai and Amp), 2 VT males (Sin and Poi), 1 PK female (Uda)

Soon to be chinchilla
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM

4-6 weeks?
Kits should not be taken from mom before they are at least 8 weeks.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I've just been going by what the lady says. She said most of her kits wean themselves from mom and start eating/acting independently anywhere from 4-6. The only time she's had one hit 6 weeks without being completely independent was when there was a 3 litter.

She said there is always a chance it could take 8 weeks, but she'll see how they progress. From the references I talked to (from previous litters, all under 6 weeks) no one has said anything about any issues what so ever.... all have been vet checked before going out, and the vet told her innitially (and new owners on checkup before they take them) that because of their size and independence, they were able to go.

*shrugs* I'm not questioning you at all, so please don't take it that way, I was surprised when she said 4-6 as well, thinking it would be at least 8, but if multiple exotics vets in the area all come to the conclusion hers can be re homed at that age.... I cant see a reason to argue. Especially if we take mine in between 4-6 weeks and I am told the same about mine.

She even referred me to a couple of the vets so I could call and ask, and all said that in some cases, when the babies tend to be born a week late, if they are eating adult food and meet certain weight requirements, they can be re homed earlier than expected.

Menagerie Slave:

Soon to be chinchilla

Last edited by Kattenya; 05-27-2010 at 02:18 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Again though, I won't be bringing him home until after an exotics vet tells me that he is fine to go to a new home. I would never take an animal early if there wasn't a licensed professional telling me that it would not harm the animal and that it would not have some kind of negative effect to take it early. I would just like to make sure I've stated that clearly.

Menagerie Slave:

Soon to be chinchilla
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 PM

I've never heard about that before. Every breeder I've ever talked too, all the books I've read and every website I've ever visited, says something between 8-12 weeks of age.
Over here most people let the kits stay with mom (and often dad) until they are 10-12 weeks old. Some very mature kits can go to a new home when they are 8 weeks.
But almost every english and american site/breeder takes the kits away between 8-10 weeks and let the kits stay in their own cage until they are between 12-14 weeks.

I really do not think the breeder you've found is a competent breeder.

Furbreeders are known to take the kits away from mom before hobbybreeders do. They do not remove the kits before they are at least 7 weeks of age, and they normally say 7-8 weeks.

Try researching how early other breeders take away the kits. You could also try and call other breeders.

Unfortunately you often have to know every thing when it comes to chinchillas. When you say a "licensed professional" I'm guessing you are talking about a vet. The problem is, that often vet's do not know enough.
Things work a bit different here when it comes to vets I must admit, but in my experience the more you know before you go to the vet, the better. The best thing is if you already know what the vet should look for and say. Sad but true.

Oh, and I'm not mad or anything
I'm just worried you are going to get a problem animal. You are going to have a lone chinchilla, that's been removed too early, and I'm worried you are going to get a chinchilla that's not sure if it's a chinchilla or a human... Some very independent kits also have a problem with personal hygiene. They can have a lot of pee on the tummy, and only mom or dad can clean it from them...
I've also had some very independent kits. We couldn't keep them in the cage, and they only got back in when they wanted some food, but they were not mentally ready to go out on their own when they were 4-6 weeks...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Last edited by Chinchi; 05-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattenya View Post
the cage is 8/10 of an inch.. the baby is supposed to be between 4-6 weeks when we get it... will that work do you think? or should we make sure to have barriers just in case?
Im not good at math but if its close to 1/2 an inch you should be fine. as far as getting the kit at 4-6 weeks that is very scary!!! they are way too young... with mine i take them away from mom at 6 weeks, and put them in a transitional cage for 2 weeks to make sure they do everything, before i let them go to their new homes. i would be concerned about this. another thing to think about is that its recommended for kits to weigh close to or more than 300grams when they are rehomed. if not, they tend to not eat right and what not. this is not coming from personal experience, i have read this on a couple websites.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM

The weight thing depends on the parents.
Like I have relatively small animals (500-700 grams), and therefor a kit should weigh around 200 - 220 grams.
If you on the other hand have very big breeding animals, you might want the kit to be a bit bigger.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

i know that you live in a different country Chinchi, so i just wanted to add that the average size of chinchillas here is about 650grams.

Mine average between 700-800grams.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Oh wow - that's so small...
I would guess the average around here (scandinavia + germany and holland) is around 700-800 grams.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

Tags
chinchilla