Exotics Vs. Rodents - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile Exotics Vs. Rodents

So, what makes people think of chinchillas as exotics rather than plain old rodents? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Good question! Is it because their fur is valuable?
I think I just figured out what a 'chinny' is !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!

Last edited by AnimalFamily; 12-21-2012 at 07:20 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Official Loofah Tester

I don't know the real reason. I can give my opinions though. LOL

When they're new to the pet trade and therefore scarce, they're 'exotics'. Once they become commonplace, if it makes the vendors money, they're still called exotics.

Beyond that, I always thought it was related to the number of overall vets actually trained to treat their special tiny needs.

For the record, rats and mice are considered exotics as well by vets.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Herp Nerd

Exotic in a legal context generally refers anything not native to the country it is in, or isn't among the typical cat, dog, rabbit, or general livestock: cows, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens. When you look for a veterinarian who will deal with exotics, it generally means anything that isn't a cat or a dog. In the pet trade, it varies widely, and is more based on what is more commonly commercially available or what is most commonly kept as pets... so the meaning can change depending on who you talk to.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

That makes sense. Chinchillas are native to the Andes Mountains in south America, but they were first brought to the States almost 100 years ago.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Depending on what you're looking at, rodents are exotics lol. Chins are harder to care for and are valuable. I think that is what makes them exotics or exotic rodents. Same goes with cats and dogs. Persians are exotic cats but by no means any more or less cat than a cat. Salukis are exotic dogs but will still bark and chew up your shoes.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

....Salukis are exotic dogs but will still bark and chew up your shoes.[/quote]

LMAO!!!!

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:17 AM
Newborn Pup

I would categorize small pets the following way:
Common Rodents: Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice, Rats
Exotic Rodents: Chinchillas, Degus, Prairie Dogs, Squirrels (any species)

Common and Exotic Non-rodents, on the other hand, are harder to define. I have ferrets and rabbits, neither of which are rodents. Other non-rodent small pets include hedgehogs and sugar gliders.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalisti View Post
I would categorize small pets the following way:
Common Rodents: Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice, Rats
Exotic Rodents: Chinchillas, Degus, Prairie Dogs, Squirrels (any species)

Common and Exotic Non-rodents, on the other hand, are harder to define. I have ferrets and rabbits, neither of which are rodents. Other non-rodent small pets include hedgehogs and sugar gliders.
I think you are right, this is the best definition.

you need to keep your pet happy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Newborn Pup

Exotic is used for a variety of different things. For example, a Mini Pig is called an exotic pet, but a farm pig is so common no one would dream of calling it exotic (unless some one was keeping it as a pet instead of for meat). It gets kind of complicated. : )

I agree with comments above, those are the definitions most people, such as vets, use.

I like to use the definition as Exotic for an animal that hasn't been domesticated in captivity (for example, an animal that hasn't been bred to behave and look different then their wild ancestors) and non-exotic is for any animal that has been domesticated, which includes Chinchillas! In my book, Chinchillas are rarer then many other pet rodents, but they are still domesticated.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

You are right too by the way.

you need to keep your pet happy