feed and pregnant females - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

feed and pregnant females

ok i never had to ask this question nor have i read it anywhere...i dont think. i am about to switch feed coming next week and i know for sure that i have one pregnant female. now would i kept her on the feed i got now or will it be safe to switch her also?

i personally think i should keep her on the feed she has now just to be safe but i wanted to see if it was safe enough to switch her anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My response will probably be a little off the wall, but I'm going to agree with you. My reasoning is a little odd though. Tradition (what I assume you're switching to) contains fenugreek as part of a sweetener. In humans, fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy as it can lower blood sugar and cause some other issues. It's very useful for lactation increases, however.

I'm sure most ranchers don't see a problem with this because females are on it prior to becoming pregnant so the blood sugar wouldn't change, but I wouldn't be comfortable switching to a feed which contained it with a pregnant female.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

thats useful information.