Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

femalke rescue

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  forsakendecay 
#1 · (Edited)
female rescue

Ok so we already have a male chin about 6 months of age now, my cousin recently told me she knows somone trying to get rid of they're female chin because they can't take care of it for some reason. We were thinking of taking her in and having her but we are not quite ready to breed chins yet as were still kind of new, what are your suggestions on having a male and female? Seperate cages, let them play together during play time? Thanks for input!

#2 ·
If you're not ready for babies, they stay in separate cages and you don't let them play together. Animals don't abstain from sex because people are watching, and I've lost count of how many litters have been fathered while "I was watching so nothing could happen".

To be honest, why would you breed this rescue female anyway? Do you know anything about her heritage other than the fact that she's got ovaries? Any show history? What do you hope to accomplish with a breeding? It really sounds like you want to breed as a fun project, but that's not really fair to the animals.

#4 ·
In that case, separate cages at all times, or neuter the male. :)

#6 ·
I haven't found that to true, personally. Our rescue neuters our male chins (with the exception of one who arrived over the age of 10 and with a heart murmur). So far we've had 0 complications, and they're all still alive. The one chin that we've had die while still in rescue had stasis issues, but he hadn't made it to his turn on the neuter roster yet.

There is also currently a rescue in Europe which has neutered hundreds of chinchillas.

Chincare has an excellent page on neutering chinchillas: http://www.chincare.com/Pages/ResponsibleBreeding.htm#neutering

The bottom line is that a neuter is not an overly dangerous surgery for an experienced vet. If your vet says that it is, he is not experienced with surgery in chins.

#7 ·
You can never breed rescues. At least, good common sense is that you shouldn't. I'm still not inclined to neutering unless in absolutely necessary cases. I don't think this would be one. You would just have to keep them separated at all times. It's not really any extra work. It's wonderful you are considering giving this new chin a home. I've got two rescues myself. :)

#8 ·
It's definitely a very personal decision, and it really hinges on how competent your local vet is (though, personal opinion, you shouldn't have a chin if you don't have an excellent exotics vet nearby!)

Being a rescue foster, I just see so many health and reproductive disasters due to accidents. The most common is "the petsitter". As in, "I went out of town and the petsitter thought it would be cute for them to play together and now I have 8 baby rabbits (or 4 baby chins, or 15 baby rats, etc)". Granted, I'm paranoid, but nothing male stays in the house intact unless I only have males of that species. :)

#9 ·
You're right. Neutering is the best way to go especially in dealing with rescues and certaintly with the size of the operation you're running there. :) I know you've had success with neutering chinchillas, and that's good to hear for those who are under the impression that it's impossible without consequences. Neutering my males never came up with my vet for the simple reason I planned on staying with males even if I rescued. However, I've done fostering of rabbits before and I've had them spayed/neutered by my vet with no problems and excellent recovery. He's had many years experience with chins, so I'm sure he's had good results with neutering them too. Just another thing to ask when I drop in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.