First time Chinchilla owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

First time Chinchilla owner

I adopted a 4/5 month old chinchilla 3 days ago and I have a couple of questions about her, Tweek's, well being.

I know it's only been 3 days and she's getting used to her environment, but it still worries me that every night so far I've woken up to her crying/making loud grunting noises, and sitting in one place not moving.

Is this normal behavior for chinchillas? Aren't they nocturnal? Whether it's night time or morning time, she is always sitting in one place not eating, drinking, nothing. I'm really worried.

Even when I try to interact with her, she doesn't budge. Not for a small snack. She never runs from me though, she just doesn't move!

Help would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

My Zoo:

My Cats -
Jojo & Gem

My Chinchilla - Tweek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Newborn Pup

if shes not eating or drinking you m ight want to get her checked out by a chin vet.

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Yvy
Newborn Pup

Chins do tend to sit and nap quite a lot, yes they are nocturnal but not like hamsters who will be active constantly all night. Chins tend to wake at tea time, and sleep from dawn most of the day, but will nap during the night too. Best time to try to interact is probably around dusk.

I have eye problems with one of mine and need to keep a check on how he is eating so I leave a small (but enough for all night) amount of food for him then I can more easily check that he is eating, whereas with a full bowl you will not know - same with the water just check the level regularly.

If your chin is not eating or drinking I agree its vet time straight away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
chinchilla breeder

I have a basic care page on my website http://www.abcchinchillas.com that should help a bit.

She should be moving, is she eating/drinking/pooping? It can take several weeks to fully adjust to a new home especially if she came from somewhere she was not handled much

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Newborn Pup

It sounds rather normal to me. Each chin is different and will behave in unique ways. My chin will 'sulk' like that if I put him in his cage when he wants to be cuddling at my feet (which is how he will spend the night if I let him). They 'turn inward' and can be almost unresponsive - like they are sulking - when emotionally upset or stressed. Give your new friend time. Afterall, it's a major change for her. Just love her to pieces and keep your distance if that's what she wants - she will come to you when she's ready. Good luck with your new friend.

Tags
4 month, baby, chinchilla, ebony