first time getting a chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

first time getting a chinchilla

Just got a chinchilla for the very first time ... he's known as NIBZ in the house .... anyways i think my chin is getting very bored in his house and im very unsure of what kinds of toys of things i should get him to pla with. another problem is that i have spent at least 400 dollars since i bought him, and im kinda iffy about spending anymore money this month, but i want him to be happy and enjoying himself. i also find that NIBZ is kinda snappy and i don't understand why, he likes to be by himself half the time, and likes nibbling on my nails ... is there anything bad about nibbling nails?? so many questions to ask for a first time caregiver of a chinchilla. he has four floors to his cage but only stays on the bottom. why? he also has a little log house but doesn't live in it. what can i substitute for him to live in? i think this is all i should ask for now. hope someone can reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i can't help you, but i know many people here can. just bumping this for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Congrats on your first chin. Lets see, your questions. Yes they need lots of stimulation. The OCA has some nice toys:http://www.ontariochinchillas.ca/store2.php?id=5 and CPP: http://chinchillaparkplace.netfirms....5ff3c261ff3a23 There are tons more out there, just do a search. Also $400 is not alot when it comes to chinchillas. They are not a cheap pet, something that you should have considered initially. Their vet care is costly too, so I hope you have alot saved up!

How long have you had him?? Bonding with a chinchilla takes time. A couple of good bonding articles are here: http://www.chinnitude.com/bond.htm and here:http://www.originalchinchillas.ca/care.php?id=4 The nail biting should be discouraged, I find a gental tap on the nose and a firm 'no' works for me. But since the chin does not appear to trust you yet you may want to first work on the bond before stressing him out with 'training'. He pry stays on the bottom because it is new to him and he is stressed in the new environment. Where did you get him from? Did he receive alot of socialization? For the house, again give him time to get used to it. You can try a couple more in other locations to see where he likes to be. There are also sleeping hammocks you can buy that alot of chinchillas enjoy-but at the first sign of him chewin it, take it out!
Chinchillas are alot of joy, but they take time and patience. Let him get used to you and the environment on his own pace. Resist the urge to fuss with him before he's ready. Once the bond is there you will find him much more outgoing. Remember though, chins are not known for being cuddly pets. So them just wanting to be with you is huge!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks for the reply ... it helps alot ... sometimes i don't realize that he's new and i get so anxious to play with him but not realizing hes still a baby ... i got him last thursday so its only been a week .... i wanna get him some toys but they are costy in toronto, do you know any places i can get stuff for him that doesn't cost so much...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Adolescent Pup

I really like www.petcarecentral.com or www.critterstore.com
the have some pretty cheap chew toys, I know I dont like to spend alot of money on chew toys cuz they only seem to last a few days! both of these places have lots of the stuff you'll find in petstores at a cheaper price, however I'm not sure how shipping will go for you since you are in Canada. I would recommend just surfing the net and checking out breeder's webpages, lots of people make thier own toys and you can get some good Ideas just from looking at pictures.

Like Lixx said, it takes time to bond to your chin, when I get a new chin, I have they cage in the dinning room close to the computer, that way they can get used to me, while i'm on the computer I just talk to them, and eventually they get curious enough to come and stare at me...just give him time he will come aroud, however most chins will never be cuddlely, "hold me" animals...

~Misty~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Look at the Ontario Chinchilla page I showed you, they are based in the GTA and are very reasonably priced. I try not to support the large pet chains as well, that's for another discussion. I buy most of my stuff online.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, vet care