First time to the VET!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

First time to the VET!!!

Okay I will be making my first trip to the vet for my chins....sigh.
I'm not sure what happend....I know baisley was fine on Friday...i had her out to play and cleaned her cage and everything....then last night, JR notices something on her tail...so it turns out there's the huge lumpy bumpy thing on her tail...and it's on each side...it's all read and swollen...looks like the size of a small marble...and on one side there this little white bumpy thing (it kinda looks like a zit that needs to be popped).
I'm pretty sure it's not ringworm...years ago we had a stray cat that adopted us...and it had ringworm...and it dosent look like the cat did...it's only on her tail...i'm not sure if she got it hurt on something...but I've checked her cage and can find nothing that could have cut it....sigh
I'm so upset for her...it looks really painful, I feel so bad. But last night she came right out to us and she dosen't act like it's bothering her...she was just as cuddly and loving as always, she did get a little upset when JR was trying to take a picture of it...so i'm pretty sure it hurts her. my poor baby

So the vet appts at 2:30, I'm just going to our local vet her in town...they have a new Dr. up there and I've spoken with him over the phone, he was very nice, he does have small animal experience, and some chin experience. Living in Indiana, heart of Amish country, it's hard to find any vet that treats anything except farm animals and cats and dogs. I do have a more expereinced Chin vet lined up in case of any major emergency...they are about 45 mins away though, but they treat many of the Zoo's animals, so they are my emergency vet, (they are extremelly expensive, that's why I'm trying the new guy here in town first.)

So anyway, here are the two pictures taken last night, one of each side of her tail...figured I'd better get some other opinions on this.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN0595.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN0594.jpg

sorry they are both blurry and not very good pictures, JR took them not me....

I'll be back to after the vet appt....

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It looks like it may just be an abscess. Let us know how it goes!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well, I guess it was an abscess...he squeezed it and puss and blood came out so they are going to do a culture on it, for now she's on Baytril 5 mg twice a day, it's beef flavored...so basically I have to Shoove it down her thorat...i may try hiding it in a rasin...but I think she may pick around it.....

Now here's where I need the "real Chin Experts" opinons....he said to increas her dustbaths to help clear it up faster....now the abscess is still kinda pussy and what not.....wouldn't it be bad to get the dust in there???

Oh and she was such a good little girl...remember I live in Amish country so half the workers at the vets had never seen a chin in person...and she sat so quietly and nicely in my arms didn't even make any noise or flinch when the "mean ol doctor" squeezed her owie really hard

~Misty~

Last edited by MischievousChins; 09-26-2005 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot something....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

INCREASE her dust baths?! Umm ... IMO, I'd give no dust baths until it was healed.

Giving a chin a pill is next to impossible. Getting them to eat it is not likely and putting it down their throat can be dangerous. Were it me, I'd call the vet back and ask about Trimethoprim-Sulfa. It's a liquid antibiotic that may be easier to administer. I probably wouldn't attempt to give the Baytril.

Stephanie

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Jade, I've already called a Differnt Vet to get a second Opionion...I called 2 different ones this morning, but the one I went to was the one I could get into right away....he's new just came to that office this week...while I was in there I wasn't too impressed with him, so i've called the other one and that Doctor was on vacation, but will be back wednesday.
I tried to hid the pill in a rasin, but she just ate around it.
I was really shocked he said to incease the dust baths, Common Sense tells me that's not a good Idea.

~Misty~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Part of the Pack

Poor little girl I hope she gets better soon!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, emergency vet, farm animals