Food question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

Food question

We just got our first chin yesterday afternoon. I'd been thinking about it for awhile, so I had been reading here and other chin websites to learn more about them, but I still have one unanswered question: I know with dogs, cats and ferrets there are pretty big differences in quality of food and which ones are good, but I don't remember seeing anything about which chin foods are best.

I know that everyone will have a different idea of which chin food is best, just like everyone has a different opinion about which ONE dog food is best. I'm just trying to get a general idea of which foods are good and which should be avoided, and why (if you know).

Also, if anyone knows of a size chart type of thing online or here anywhere, please let me know. The folks at Petsmart didn't know how old she was, and I'm curious.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

the most common advice is *DO NOT FEED PET STORE FOOD*

Everyone does have thier "favirotes" but everyone agress the most petstore foods are not the best....If the food has treats mixed in with the pellets do not feed it unless you pick out the treats.

Most people feed Mazuri or Traditions Pellets, some people also feed Oxbow or the Alice Kline Diet.

Mazuri can be found at some Petsmart's however It's VERY expensize. I recommend calling your local feed stores, most of them can get Mazuri or Traditons in for you, I get Mazuri from the local feed store for $14 for a 25lb bag. There are also a number of breeders who sell pellets on their web sites.

You Chinchilla will also need fresh hay daily along with the pellets. If you feed a Timothy based pellet feed alafa hay, and vice versa. (Tradtion pellets are Timothy based and Mazuri is Alafa based)

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I found out the hard way that pet store feed is not the best. Basically, my chins liked to pick out the junk food and leave the rest. After seeing this, I got sick of it and switched them to Oxbow. Oxbow is a good feed (my vets even said so), but a lot of people also like Tradition, Kline and Mazuri. I know APD has a timothy based chinchilla pellet as well. But, I haven't heard much feedback on that.

I like Oxbow, but it is VERY expensive. I'm almost thinking of switching them off of it, but I'm not sure quite yet.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Newborn Pup

i feed my chin with the store bought pellets with all those little treats in it .... but i take out all the little orange and bright green treats before i give him the feed and he eats all the pellets and seeds in it .... so i don't really see a problem with store bought food .... but if anyone else can inform me WHY it is bad than by all means please share ...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Before you feed typical pet store foods, do some ingredient research and compare. A lot of the pet store foods out there contain a lot of junk.
http://www.paw-talk.net/index.php?page=chinnutrition
(The page is nowhere near finished or complete, but will give you some general ideas.)

Seeds and such in these foods are very high in fat and should be given in strict moderation, if at all. In the wild, these critters have a very high fiber, low fat diet and we should try to mimic that as best as we can.

Also keep in mind that you don't know how long that pet store food has been on the shelf. Nutrients start to deplete/break down after time. The advantage of getting food from a supplier like Mazuri or Oxbow is that the mill date is clearly marked, so you know your chin is getting fresh food instead of food that sat in a warehouse for 6 months and then on the shelf for 3 months. Not to mention getting 25 lbs for $10-15 is a heck of a lot cheaper than 2 lbs for $5, even if you throw half of it away.

Stephanie

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Part of the Pack

My chins eat store bought food also and at first I didnt know that all the treats were bad for them, but recently I noticed one of my chins is getting fat and I decided to start taking the treats out and just let her have 2 of the alfalfa ones in it. When I read the ingredients on the side of the bag I noticed the main ingredients were fruits and (it actually said) VARIOUS sugars! This really worried me, and now I'm going to call the feed store tomorrow now that I know they carry chin food!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think everyone else has said it but I'll say it again... most pet store foods = BAD. I say most because Mazuri is carried in stores, and it's a more on the preferred list. Though when dealing with pet stores for Mazuri, make sure to check the dates - sometimes, they'll carry expired foods (and not even know it).

My girls started on the Kline diet, as that's what chinhappy had them on. But I've migrated them over to Shoots' pellets (Shoots is a rancher in the area) once I picked up Speedy and Batman. And they seem content.

The names that I see commonly on other people's preferred lists include Kline, Tradition, Mazuri, and Oxbow.

I think Jade, stormshy, and Crazy Chin Lady give great advice too.

Chinmom to :
Trinity (standard grey), Trillian (hetero beige), Tequila (mosaic),
Speedy (hetero beige) and Batman (standard grey)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Part of the Pack

I just picked up my chin food from the feed store today. I got 55 lbs for $13.95 (Canadian, so about $20 American). It looks just like the store bought that I normally get except without the treats, and REAL ingredients this time! This thread really helped my chinnies out! Thanks from them and me! (Thanks for starting the thread too )

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Hi
The best way to choose a good dog food is to look at the ingredients. If it contains corn, corn gluten, wheat flour or wheat gluten, as well as a suplement called vitamin K3 (menadione) don't buy it. Keep looking. There are several good quality dog foods available that don't contain these ingredients and they are all priced differently. So find one that you will be satisfied with and can be sure that the ingredients are healthy and the price won't hurt your wallet in the process.

Bailey-Jane, Magic and Judy
God Bless
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

One other suggestion I would make for someone like me with only a few chins is to find someone to share feed with. I get the 50 lb. bags of Tradition from my feed store for $11.50. But with only 4 chins they don't eat it before it goes bad and I always end up throwing about half of it away. It is cheap so I don't mind throwing some of it away but I wish I knew someone close to share it with. So far I haven't had much luck finding anyone.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by indychinchick
One other suggestion I would make for someone like me with only a few chins is to find someone to share feed with. I get the 50 lb. bags of Tradition from my feed store for $11.50. But with only 4 chins they don't eat it before it goes bad and I always end up throwing about half of it away. It is cheap so I don't mind throwing some of it away but I wish I knew someone close to share it with. So far I haven't had much luck finding anyone.
If you have the Freezer room you could freeze some of it and it would last longer and you wouldn't be wasting any....

~Misty~

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I thought of that but I haven't come up with a way yet to get it airtight so that I don't have freezer burn. Plus, I really like for them to get fresh food every couple of months.

Tags
dog food, pet store, pet stores, quality dog food