Freaking out! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Unhappy Freaking out!

I've been having problems with a couple of my chinchillas.

Sneakers has malocclusion (caught it in time where it didn't get worse thankfully) and I haven't seen him pawing at his mouth and he's been eating, so hopefully this will keep up where we don't have to take him back anytime soon to get his teeth floated.

Now, to Snowball. She has not been eating, and I've been back and forth to the vet with her. The vet said he couldn't find anything pretty much every time I took her, but I knew something was wrong. I couldn't take it anymore, and I took her in today. Here's the worst part. He doesn't know for sure, but he thinks she may have kidney disease. They ran some bloodwork and possibly x-rays, and I'll know the results tomorrow. I've been a mess all day. I haven't even had her a year and I'm not ready to let her go.

I'll give you a little background information on her. I bought her at a pet store and the woman who brought her and the other four chins in (I bought a cage mate as well) said the woman came in on a bus, had all of them in a ten gallon tank, there were possible pregnancies (there were, Snowball lost her baby and Scooter had three), they were all in bad condition. The woman wouldn't give a name or anything. I was furious and in tears all at the same time.

So, I'm hoping it's nothing bad. I hope (and that's the worst possible term to use) it's an infection. But, choosing between an infection and kidney disease, I think I'd rather have her have an infection that can be treated than have her suffer any longer.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know how hard it can be to sit and worry. I'll keep Snowball and Sneakers both in my prayers. Please let us know how Snowball is doing.

Stephanie

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Well, on a good note it's not kidney failure. So, I'm ecstatic about that.

On the bad note.....when they ran an x-ray the vet found that she had a lot of gas in her stomach. I know gi statis can be fatal to a chinchilla, and he said it's not in the absolute worst phase of it...but it's not good. She has to stay a couple more days, which I can understand. She gained weight which is good, but he said she wasn't pooping. Then he said he had just found some poo, which is a good sign. They have to force feed her, she's on medication, etc. I'm so extremely worried about her. I hope and pray she pulls through, because as I said before, I'm not ready to let her go. I love her to pieces.

Karen

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll keep her in my prayers. Hopefully she'll be on the mend quickly and back home with you.

Stephanie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Part of the Pack

I hope she's home and bouncy soon. I bet she'll have some vet stories to tell you while being away from you. I feel so sad when I read some of these things and project all the "what if's" onto Emma, I can't imagine.

Do something good for yourself tonight. and I am going to take this as a learning opportunity and do some research on gi statis.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I hope that all goes well and that she is back home with you soon.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Proud New Mommy

Im so sorry. I really hope things get better soon, too. Keep hanging on- hopefully it won't turn into anything worse.

Keep us updated.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Well, we went to visit her today. Of course I broke down in tears when I saw her, but she looked a bit better than when we took her in. Her face isn't as sunk in as it was, and they were telling us how they have her on everything possible to make her better, and they were going to force feed her again.

I'm hoping she poops more. I'm hoping for a lot of things. But, I told her I love her and that she has to get better.

Karen

[

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Just a quick update for everyone.

We went to visit Snowball yesterday. She seemed to be doing a lot better and was nibbling at my fingers and pooping a lot! Her poo was a little green, but I figured that it was from her passing all of the things that were clogging her intestines, etc. She did sneeze, which I brought to the nurse's attention, and she said she'd make a note of it.

Snowball did have teeth issues like I had suspected, and she's getting dental work done today. Our one vet said he found her back teeth were pushed together and pinching her tongue, which is a great reason why she wasn't eating. Hopefully we'll be able to take her home today, but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, as I'd understand if they'd want to keep her there longer.

Karen

[

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fingers, toes and paws are all still crossed for a quick recovery for her.

Stephanie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Thank you very much Jade!! I think she's going to do just fine. When you hear such bad news at first, you lose hope. But, I've gained that hope back after finding it wasn't kidney failure. And I'm hoping that the gas in her stomach is going to be relieved. I think it's a slow process, but at least she's passing things through her system now, which she wasn't when she went in on Monday.

Karen

[

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That's wonderful news! I hope she continues to do well!!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
cage mate, pet store