Frozen Chin Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Frozen Chin Food

Any thoughts on how long Mazuri will keep in the freezer? I'm almost down to crumbs and have a bag that I probably got with Mav that has been in the freezer. I also won't feed him something that I think is no good. I got it out and dumped it into a bowl to let it defrost to see if the smell is okay. Don't want to hurt Cam, but won't let him go hungry. It would be reassuring to know that I have that as back-up in case I can't get downtown to get more food until next week. I start physical therapy for my back on Monday and am not sure whether that will be pleasant or painful.........

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 08:46 PM

How long has it been in there? I would say if it's been less than a year go for it, but then again that's just me...I'll go see if I can find something more concrete than just because I said
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 09:26 PM

Ok, I was reading through some old stuff and I found 2 different people who said they were told by Mazuri/Purina people that the pellets will last 9mos in the freezer before it starts to lose nutritional value. There was a couple mentions of 2 years as well, but no reference as to were that info came from. A big caution to make sure there isn't alot of ice crystals in the bag (they'll melt and get the pellets wet or grow mold if left long enough) and make sure it doesn't smell freezer burnt or anything when you open it. I hope that helps some, that was the most definete I could find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Thanks, Becki. I poured it into a bowl to thaw - didn't want to mix it with what I have left yet - and so far it smells okay. No ice crystals in it that I saw, and I stirred it with my hands (which I'm sure are clean!).

I don't think I'll need it tomorrow, but if it still smells okay I'll put it in the 'frig.

Cam has odd eating habits - or so it seems to me. He'll go for two or three days and eat only about half of what I give him, then the next day he is standing in his dish begging. Silly chin!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Remember, the safest way to thaw food is to leave it in the bag in the fridge for a day and then on the counter for a day before opening it.

Also, come get this bag already! LOL We rarely leave lately but you manage to call when we're gone!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|