Funny vet story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Funny vet story

So yesterday I was calling around to the vets in town looking for one with some chinchilla knowledge in case of an emergency. The vet my boys see now is about a 45 minute drive.

The first vet I called was listed in the phone book as specializing in small and exotic pets. He said he's seen them a time or two but referred me to Dr. Epperson, the vet I already go to.

The next vet I called was one a lot of people in town said was really good. The girl who answered immediately put the vet on the phone. When I explained my situation the answer I got was "Chinchillas? I think I've heard of those. They're a rodent raised for their pelts. I've never actually seen one though. If you want to bring them in, I'll see them." I think hearing 'I've heard of those' was enough to pretty well make up my mind. I told him I'd get back to him. I just thought it was funny that a vet didn't really even know what a chinchilla was. He also referred me to my current vet, saying that he'd worked in a zoo and would probably have more knowledge. He actually tried to make excuses by saying that they don't teach a class in Chinchilla in vet school. I found that comment funny.

That guy was a hoot. Just had to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's right, there isn't a class in school for them! They can be on the boards though, one of our last interns mentioned it to me!

You really have to work in small exotics to get any experience, unfortunately. Experienced exotics vets are few and far between.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Irregular and Proud!

Yeah, finding a vet is always funny. You also get, "Isn't that a dog? (meaning chihuahua)"

On funny vets though. Probably my best vet was in Baton Rouge, LA. His partner did cats, and he did everything else (dogs, birds, ferrets, guinea pigs, chins, anything with 2-4 legs). Here's the best part, he sounded just like Forest Gump! I'm not get kidding.

Patti

Back in NC again! (Army wife and proud!)
Chinnies: Maureen, Max, and Muad'Dib
Cats: Daphne (who says, I only play with mousie toys with a string tail and a bell.)
And introducing: Tasselhof and Kittira (Hubbie's childhood cats, who are 10 and 9 repectively)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That is funny...... btw Jade is right!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

that is funny, but sad at the same time.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Do you know what college your Vet graduated from? I am looking into colleges to go to for exotic/zoological medicine.
Thanks

Alicyn

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
exotic pets, guinea pig