fur biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

fur biting

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had any issues with their chin chewing himself and what they did about it? Our little one is very much our baby and spoiled as can be but he has had trouble with chewing 3 times now. The first two, were due to what we assumed was separation anxiety. He only seemed to do it when we were away. (though we had pet sitters who took great care of him while we were away) Unfortunately, the second time was a family emergency and I felt terrible about that one my husband was home with him but I was gone and he is bonded very closely to me. I now generally take him with me when I need to travel and he does fine with that. He settles right in for the trip. I noticed this morning that he apparently did it again and I can't figure out why. This doesn't line up with the other two times. We've been home the whole time. He's had tons of interaction and play time and nothing is different. I'm just getting to a point where I don't know what to do for him. He has tons of chew toys and lots of interaction with us, which he loves. He had a physical recently and is perfectly healthy, no malocclusion.
The first time we went through this, it took me a month and a half of vet visits multiple times a week and medication and re-wraps to get him better. (and me watching him very closely) The second time, it was 3 1/2 months of the same thing. This time, I can't get into the vet until Monday and there aren't any other exotic vets in my area. I have talked with the vet though and he gave me the go-ahead to start him on the antibiotics that I have on hand and the cream and everything that we've done before, just to get him going in the right direction until I we can get in there. My husband and I can wrap him and everything how he needs to be.
I'm really just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this or how to keep him from doing it in the future. I love this little bugger. It's getting pretty pricey though to be in the vet's this often for these long stretches.
I also do know that sometimes it's genetic. He did come from a breeder though and he's still fairly young...about 4.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's his way of getting extra attention out of me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Nipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh, also, we've had him almost 4 years. We got him when he was a few months old so it's not like it's a new environment/new chin issue. Actually nothing has changed at all in months around the house. He is an only pet so it's not other animals agitating him. We don't have children but he's used to being around kids because we frequently have children visit. I just can't figure out what his issue is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Nipper

Tags
chewing, fur biting