fur chewing! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation fur chewing!

As the title says, Andy has begun this horrible thing of fur chewing, a while back he chewed/loss the hair on one of his arms but that was it. Now yesterday i noticed he has chewed fur on both of his hips! what the heck is he doing this for!??!?! He fits NONE of the symptoms that i've read online that usually cause/influence fur chewing.... see below...

1. he gets dusts baths like he's supposed to (2 times a week)
2. he has tons of toys/chew stuff (so he's not bored)
3. he gets a good diet, no malnutrition.
4. he gets TONS of attention!
5. nothing in his enviro. has changed

i guess i'm just confused....if you have experienced this before please let me know.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sometime chins will start fur chewing if they have dry skin or fungus or maybe an allergy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

poor Andy

I hope you can figure out what is wrong with him..what it is he is trying to tell you

flower for Andy ...and you too.

(maybe he is trying to start a new fashion statement or something...ya know like poodles get their hair cut into that silly style..well they don't do it themselves..its their owners who get it done for them...hehe..just trying to make you giggle )

Are you going to take him to the vet and see if they can do an allergy test?

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

thank you everyone...i've done some more research and some say it could be bad genetics too i rescued/bought him from a family friend and he IS the result of 2 store bought chins being bred...so perhaps that is it..

*as he chews up the flowers luvnature gave him, YUM he says thanks hehe!!*
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well if it is bad genetics that is the culprit he will still be okay, right.??.even if he loses ....eats..some of his fur??

I know you will still love him

*throws some more at Andy*

Keep eating the flowers Andy...not your fur!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the love and support.....yea, near as i know he'd still be fine, just like a nasty habit that he can't really help....

i wish i could give him lotion, though i know that's a big no! he's not made to have that stuff but .....maybe he has dry skin?? i have no clue how tell or what to do...i hope a chin owner/breeder c omes around soon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

unfortunatly thats all i can give you and Andy cuz i know not one thing about chinnies except for the fact that they are adorable and cute, soft and cuddly and expensive..hehe...

I hope someone will come on to give you more than giggles..someone who can really help you out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

fyi, i bought more/new dust today at the petstore.... * for help*
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 10:33 PM

I can't help much. I've only had one chin fur chew, but it was extremely obvious what her problem was, and therefore was easy to stop.

Has the humidity where you live been lower than normal lately? If so, this could caue Andy's skin to dry out more than usual. You could try cutting back to one dustbath a week for awhile and see if that helps. Also, what dustbath are you using? Maybe you could try a different brand and see if there is any improvement. If you got it at the petsore, I assume it's not Blue Could or Blue Sparkle, so you could try one of those brands.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

oOo...thanks Legend8201!!!! An idea that's worth a shot!
i'll cut back on the dust bath-ness for a bit to see if that helps....i def. think the humidity has kinda changed b/c we have had some april showers and the last 3 days have been hotter days...

keep the advice coming if ya got it though

thanks!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Playful Pup

I'm sorry about Andy chewing his fur, I wish you lots of luck and hope that his skin is just dry and changing the dust and frequency of baths helps.

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Shadow, Thor, Sandy, Pandora and Isis

Spike
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hon, sometimes it just happens. I have an adult here who randomly started chewing her fur during her last litter and she's over 4 years old. Nothing else changed and she did great during prior litters. She continues to chew even now that she's retired from breeding.

So long as you're not breeding, it really isn't that big of a deal. One of my chins chewed since he was 6 months old and never had any issues due to it.

I'd take Legend's suggestion and cut back on the dust baths, see if that helps. If not, don't sweat it too much, he'll be fine.

Stephanie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Hon, sometimes it just happens. I have an adult here who randomly started chewing her fur during her last litter and she's over 4 years old. Nothing else changed and she did great during prior litters. She continues to chew even now that she's retired from breeding.

So long as you're not breeding, it really isn't that big of a deal. One of my chins chewed since he was 6 months old and never had any issues due to it.

I'd take Legend's suggestion and cut back on the dust baths, see if that helps. If not, don't sweat it too much, he'll be fine.

ok thanks !! i just worry bout my baby!! He's seriously like my kid !! and i'm a worrier!! I'll keep an eye on him

AND NO WAY would i ever breed him, i know nada, zero, zip about his genes and it would be far too risky!! plus 1 chinnie is enough for me

Tags
dust bath, dust baths