Geri's scaring me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Geri's scaring me

Last night I got Geri out (she jumped right out onto my shoulder) and she seemed to be 'chattering' in my ear. My mom laughed and said she was talking to us but I wasn't so sure.

I made her mad and put her chest up to my ear so that I could listen and didn't like what I heard. It wasn't as if her breathing was labored, or quicker than normal. It was just a lot louder. Like maybe someone with asthma wheezing. She did it right up until I went to bed but was very active and otherwise normal. Her urine is a bit darker and more aromatic though, which also worries me.

My first instinct is to take her to the vet and get a blood work-up, to check liver/kidney function and maybe the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Fertile Myrtle

You could be overreacting - I do the same thing - or you could be right about it being the beginnings of something. Could she have just been running around and playing with Audi before you went i??

Mine chatter all the time - maybe just keep a close eye on her.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm hoping I'm overreacting, actually.

She wasn't doing anything abnormally active when I got her out, and it continued the whole 10 minutes I had her out and on into the night, so I've ruled that one out.

A lot of the time, it had an almost vocal sound to it. Like you or I would wheeze. It wasn't the normal 'chatter' that they do like we first thought. Totally different. This is the only reason I'm concerned.

I just called my step-dad. He said she's alert and seems fine. I'm going to just watch her closely for a few days. I might check out her teeth too, since she's from a pet store.

Is there any place other than CA chins that I can get a good diagram to compare to?

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well it seems I need to train my step-dad a bit more thoroughly. My mom called me as soon as she got home as I was leaving work, and told me I needed to take Geri to a vet. The wheezing had gotten worse and she sounded like she was coughing too. She refused to come out of her PVC pipe and her urine was still abnormally dark.

So I made an appt. at the emergency clinic since my vet wasn't in and drove the 45 mins to get there. What does she do? Doesn't wheeze, cough, anything. Just like my little brat.

Well the doctor seemed to respect my opinion and listen to what I was saying, even though he couldn't really see anything upon exam. Her lungs were clear, so we think it may be a sore throat. It isn't a blockage, because she wasn't doing it all the time. I'm hoping it's just an upper resp. infection and I caught it early enough to keep it from getting bad. He gave me some Baytril and told me to give it to her twice a day, 1/10 of a CC at a time.

He even wrote on the receipt, "She is a serious and experienced chin owner and is recognizing clinical signs at home ..." I didn't feel like such a bad mommy after reading that!

Stephanie

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:01 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Jade I am glad you took her to the Vet better safe than sorry.I hope Geri gets better.I know I may sound paranoid but be very careful with the Baytril.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:19 AM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Yes does sound like there is something going on. Now wether it is serious or not, I don't know. Normally I feel as a breeder to go with your instincts and if somethings seems out of the norm it's best to take them in anyway. And normally there IS something wrong even if it may be minor. Just trust your own judgement, which sounds like what you have done! Great job!
Another thing is that chins and actually animals in general can hide an illness very easily for a long time until it gets bad. They can act perfectly alert and happy, and there still could be something seriously wrong. If you wait for big signs like lethargy or not eating. It might be too late. Catch it with the slight suspiscion of a problem.
And yes, Baytril is VERY strong! I have heard of many chins dying because too high of a dosage was administered. When my prairie dog was sick, he weighs about 2lbs (1000g) and was given literally about a drop dosage of baytril ONCE a day. It worked well and cleared him up quick. But this goes to show how strong it is and you need to make sure your chin hasn't been prescribed too high of a dosage. Good luck and sounds like you are making all the right moves. Never worry about over-reacting. Sometimes that is just a good sign that you know your animals and in your heart you have the feeling something isn't right.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, I'm being very careful with the Baytril. I'm giving it to her once a day, instead of twice. Thank you both for the concern on that. It's nice to know I have somewhere I can go to get advice.

You know, it was worth the $95 to me to make sure she was okay. Even if it's something minor or nothing at all. She still isn't acting right and I had to bribe her with a craisin to get her to move at all this morning.

I'm keeping a close eye on her and I'll keep you all updated.

Stephanie

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:05 PM

Jade is Geri eating alright? If not you can give her some nutri-cal, also with the baytril you may need to give her a little yogurt.

I am sorry to hear that Geri is sick.
I hope that she gets better quickly, I know what you must be going through right now...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

She's eating about half of what she normally does. Getting either yogurt or Nutri-Cal into that girl is like getting seafood into me -- fighting, barking, and struggling to the point of drawing blood. But I will give it my best effort. She's staying steady at 568g so I'm not really worried on that front yet.

Thanks for the support, Sassy. I'm sure you DO know how I feel.

Stephanie

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Try putting it on a raisin... or try the Felovite.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've tried it on a raisin, a craisin, pineapple, an apple log .. you name it, I've tried it. Felovite is my next attempt!

Stephanie

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 09:43 PM

Did your doctor not give you the option of injectable baytril? I find that upsets their stomaches less that oral antibiotics. Is the oral kind flavored? Not to worry you, but if you have to fight with her over it she may not be getting the entire dose in her anyway, and that wont help her at all. If she gets any worse try injectable baytril or another injectable antibiotic.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jade
I've tried it on a raisin, a craisin, pineapple, an apple log .. you name it, I've tried it. Felovite is my next attempt!
Have you tried the "hey look, mommy's eating nutrical trick?"
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 10:18 PM

Jade, I hope your chinnie is feeling better! I know how scary it is when a pet is sick! I hope she is feeling better soon!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

*sigh* I managed to get some Nutri-Cal in her last night, by putting it inside a craisin. (ironically, I hadn't read your post yet Alena! )

I am beginning to think it's not an upper respiratory infection at all. The Baytril is making no difference, and she still is making the weird noise. I think she has something stuck in her throat now. I happened to catch her this morning doing something I hadn't seen yet. She was hunched over and jerking forward and down, making this God-awful coughing noise and pawing at her mouth -- almost like she was trying to puke or get something out of her throat.

In my mind, it explains everything. The lack of anything in her lungs, being generally active and healthy when she's out except the cough, not wanting to move unless prompted to in the early evening when she's usually awake, and the odd sound that isn't related to breathing.

What I'm battling with is whether to get her x-rayed to find out. I'm terrified she wouldn't come out of the anesthesia and it would be for nothing. I doubt the doctor I'm taking her to would even want to operate in a space that small if there IS something stuck. He's hesitant to even do the X-Ray. (They do have Isoflourane, I asked.)

But then there's the part of me that knows if there's something in there, it's irritating her throat, and may cause an internal infection that would ultimately kill her too. I don't know WHAT to do or which direction to turn.

Stephanie

Tags
pet store, prairie dog, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection