Geri's toe - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Geri's toe

Geri recently (as in the last 3 or 4 days) hurt her right front paw. I have been putting neosporin on the affected toe but I think she licks/wipes it off. It's starting to redden up PAST the scrape and I've made a vet appt. for tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, any antibiotics I should ask for or be wary of, anything really.

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 01:15 AM

I don't have too much for you Jade, but I have heard that baytril is pretty hard hitting, and should not be used on pregnant or young (under a year or two) chins as it may stop growth of the bone or cartilige (I don't remember which, but either one sounds pretty serious). It's usually used for very serious situations because its pretty harsh. What you'll probably get if you get an antibiotic is sulfatrim, I haven't heard anything bad about that, it seems to be a more gentle, all around antibiotic, but it is quite the pain to give to obstinant chinnies . There was a discussion on antibiotics in the chinchilla health section, I think it was just called "antibiotics", started by me, you might find some more helpful info in there. Good luck at the vet's tomorrow!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hey all, we're back. (I brought her into work .... she's being fawned over right now. ) He gave me a topical antibiotic called gentamicin mixed with synotic to penetrate and numb the wound a little so she'll leave it alone. He said to use it for about a week and refrigerate it. I'm probably being an overprotective mommy but the 8 hour trip on Saturday will probably stress her a bit so I am being careful.

Thanks for the response Becki!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:43 AM

I am so glad to hear that everything is ok .That poor little toe,I hope that everything goes well
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:51 PM

Jade,
I am sorry I totally missed this thread, I hope Geri's toe is doing better. Do you know how it happened?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Don't worry bout it Sassy! She's doing great ... mad at me for taking her to the mean old vet but otherwise fine.
I don't have a CLUE how it happened, but she bounces around that cage like a madwoman. It just looks like she scraped it, much like we would scrape a knuckle. I'm just an overprotective mommy, that's all.

Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:58 PM

It is good to hear that she is ok, just mad at her mean ole mommy. She still loves you though, she just wants some extra treats. LOL